Problematic MeganeII, but still in love with it!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Problematic MeganeII, but still in love with it!!

Postby fhmboy » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:35 pm

Hi peeps, first post on here but been an avid reader since perchasing first meggie, 1.9dci 54 plate standard except for minnie mouse aerial topper (speak to the wife :lol: )
Anyway back to the car since purchasing in sept 06 I've had from my dealer (Holdcroft, Crewe) two front tyres, two door handles, one new clutch, one new slave cylinder, one passenger window solenoid module thingy, rear brake discs and pads, one new fuel flap, one busted intercooler pipe and about ten valets from all the times it's been in the garage, and this is all at their expense so I'm not really complaining as such, but have i been sold the typical friday afternoon car or have other people been as unlucky as me, I absolutley love the car and it's design thinking but dont know if I can continue ownwership when my warranty runs out (sept 07) any advice!!!!!!!!!!!! :driving
Image usual probs but love the car!!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:50 am

why dont you extend your warranty?

then you can keep your car for longer
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

fhmboy
Passed Theory

reply to iceman

Postby fhmboy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:36 pm

I did think that but i'm a bit anal in that respect and would only want a renault one, and after giving them ten grand for a friday afternoon car i would be a bit reluctant to give them the 800 squid they want for the warranty, however all the work they have carried out totakls just ubder 2500 and thats only in six months, do i run the risk of forking all that out myself for the sake of £800 :?:

STEVIE
Advanced Driver

Postby STEVIE » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:47 pm

Some renault dealers will extend your warranty a year for free if you mot it with them i know sunwin renault do it

steve
http://www.meganesport.net welcome all members of Megane II Owners Club

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Postby fhmboy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:58 pm

might just do, but somebody has also suggested trying to get them to extend it for free because of all my problems, the receptionist at holdcroft knows me by name now and the service girl told me that they'd had my car for a TOTAL OF 19 DAYS since oct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:21 pm

19 days? Renault London West have had mine for a total of 85 days since November. Yes 85, thats not a typing error!
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Postby fhmboy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:42 pm

WHAT FOR :shock: I hope you got a courtesy car!!!!!

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:39 am

It went in because it kept losing power every time I accelerated. Speed would drop to standstill. They changed the following:
1. Camshaft sensor
2. TDC sensor
3. Dephaser pulley
4. Timing belt
Finally they realised that the problem was a faulty fuel pump so they changed that and it now goes fine. Although it seems a little sluggish compared to before. Also while it was with them they damaged the spoiler and bodywork so it took them ages to sort that out.

Also had new steering lock, new brake pads and calipers.

I had a 1.6 new clio as acourtesy car and found it to be quite good. Very nippy compared to the Megane.
1.6 Dynamique 5 dr, tip, Antique Green, 17" 16 spoke alloys, spoiler, DVD, Lexus rear lights, green cotton filter, ipod, TS-Q131C Speakers, limo tints

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Postby fhmboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:44 am

i dont know what these depahaser pulleys are but i certainley hope the diesels dont have them i'm glad its all sorted now. would you buy another as on the market there is nothing like it in terms of style and trim levels, unless you buy an audi or alfa!!!! and who wants to do that :lol:

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:22 am

The Dephaser pulley problem only affects the 1.6 engines and most of them at that. I still have a knocking from the steering that I need to get sorted.

I personally wouldn't buy another Renault. Too many problems too early on in ownership.However my missus drives a Clio and the most she has ever had wrong was needing a new back box after 5 years.

fhmboy
Passed Theory

Postby fhmboy » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:31 am

yeah same goes for my missus she had two clios no problems abd the mother in law is now on her fourth again no probs, i will have to think lond and hard before buying another one!!

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 pm

Its a shame cos the car looks fantastic and as you said before the kit you get as standard is hard to match at the price and I love the cubby holes in the floor and the handbrake and keycard etc. Its just the main reason people have a car is to get from A to B and unfortunately with these cars you can't guarentee that thats gonna happen.

Oilburner
Passed Theory

Postby Oilburner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 pm

Tell me about it, I love my gadgets and gizmos and was drawn in because of that. The reality is that Renault can only afford to have such high equipment levels because they're not spending enough on on the quality of components or ensuring build quality is consistent, IMO.
Pete

2006 Megane 2.0 Privilege (traded-in after two weeks!) & 2006 Grand Scenic 2.0 Dynamique (rejected due to paintwork problems)

chrislloydie
Pass Plus

Postby chrislloydie » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:17 pm

Yeah I agree, its all very well having these novelty extras but at the end of the day what good are they when your car is sitting in the workshop at the dealers.
I have had so much stick from friends who drive much older cars that are much more reliable. Seems each week I turn up to work in a courtesy or hire car.

Oilburner
Passed Theory

Postby Oilburner » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:28 pm

Having to keep visiting dealers is partly why I'm getting rid of mine, the nearest Renault dealer is some miles away and nowhere near my route to work, so it would be a real pain to have to keep visiting them.

I really should have thought of that before hand of course! :) However, I've been used to cars that only ever needed to visit the dealers once a year for a service...
Pete

2006 Megane 2.0 Privilege (traded-in after two weeks!) & 2006 Grand Scenic 2.0 Dynamique (rejected due to paintwork problems)

Return to “Problems / Questions”