18K miles or 2 years??? OMG your joking me its actually 12k!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

short1uk
Passed Theory

18K miles or 2 years??? OMG your joking me its actually 12k!

Postby short1uk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:50 pm

Ok so here it is.

Last year we had the "change oil soon" message on the car so I asked on here what it meant and you guys rightly told me service time so off to Renault we went.

I am sorry madam your car is 18k miles or 2 years I am affraid you would have to pay for the service (paid up front for servicing) if you have it done now and not when its due. So I didnt believe them that it was not due and so went to another garage, told the same.

Ok so i reset the message as per instructions on here and happy off we went. Now we are nearly on 18k miles and it will be 2 years in June so we went to Renault again today for its service.

Everything ok so we picked up the car whilst at the desk ask the nice lady about resetting the ecu so it displays the correct 18k miles. She informs us that the car is in fact 12k MILES OR 1 YEAR!!!!

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So not only are we 5000 miles over service we are also 8 months over it!!!!

We could not believe what we heard. She said out car was defo the 12k miles one> what i do not understand is why when they entered out reg in last year they said it was an 18k miles service car!!!!!!!

Any ideas??

What implications will this have for my warrenty etc???? she said it will be ok if we have it serviced again at 24k. We are on nearly 18 now! How stupid is this!!

Then she mentions that Renault have a fix for the brakes new calipers! But we have to pay for brake pads and she even said we will get the infamous squeeeeeeeel again after it. So I am buying some Mintex ones and taking them with us to get put on with the new caliper.

I am absolutely mortified about the service interval and dont know what to do!!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Catherine

Jonault
Advanced Driver

Service at 18k

Postby Jonault » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:19 pm

This service interval seems to have everyone confused. I had the change oil soon message coming up when I'd had my 1.4 for only 10 months.
looking through the bumpf that came with the car, the service could be every 6 months if you drove in a dusty environment or if you were doing very short journeys. I decided that as my average speed seems to average between 20 and 25 mph that servicing after 10 months with only 9,500 miles on the clock was probably a good idea. 18k or 12 months, whichever comes first.
The service cost £196 although I did get a Clio courtesy car for the day.

John
1.4 Hatch, Ottoman Blue, 55 Reg, Dynamique

short1uk
Passed Theory

Postby short1uk » Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:29 pm

All the paper work with the car ie the service book it said 12k or 1 year hence why we tried to get it done last year when it came up with the service light. But they told us we could not get it done early and we had to wait till closer to the time ie 18k or 2 years.

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:58 am

Sounds like a Customer Service complaint to me, especially since you were instructed not to get the service by the dealer.

I must agree that Renault need much much clearer instructions on servicing. I was told by the salesperson that my CC was every 18K, only to find out it was actually 12K a month or so later. Although the interval didn't actually bother me (i think 18K is way too much anyway), it would be nice if the dealers actually knew what they were talking about in the first place.
Current: Volvo S40 S Sport 2.0D :)
Previous: Renault Megane II Coupe Carbriolet 2.0 T Privledge

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:53 pm

the salesperson told us it is 18k or 2 years and also put a sticker by interior light with the date that the 1st service is due.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:55 am

my 53reg meg sport saloon privilege was 18k or every 2 years, but ive now bought a brand new meg coupe cabriloet and have been told its every year or 12k, the salesman actually said they changed it to this last year, and cars before this would not be affected, so i would argue your point if i were you

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:10 pm

The new service intervals, came into effect for some engines at the end of 2005.
All the new Euro IV Diesel engines and petrol engines had their revised service intervals from around September 2005. The confusion came about because so many of the "older" variants of the same cars were still in the new chain, (made and sitting in a compound, but not registered)
What Renault dealers should have done when selling these cars was make the new owners aware at time of purchase, (confirmed by a chassis number check) of exactly when their cars needed a service.

You could actually reject your car because you were effectively mis-sold it on the premise that it needed less servicing than it actually does, and that this was confrmed to you by 2 Renault dealers!

If I were you I would be shouting very loudly at Renault UK about this, because through their ignorance you have now invalidated the warranty on your car.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:17 pm

as you say iainmw this is confusing for everyone, because in the service books it tell you different to what renault dealers are now saying, im picking my new meg cc privilege up on friday so i am going to double check what my servicing is and what it says in the handbook, so i know where i am

short1uk
Passed Theory

Postby short1uk » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:33 pm

Renault say that we have not affected the warranty as long as its serviced at 24k now. We are on 18k near enough.

So annoyed though

Gav
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Sport Tourer, 1.5 dCi 106

Postby Gav » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:01 pm

When I went to test drive the Sport Tourer the salesman told me seriving was every 18k or 12 months on the 1.5dCi 106, which sounded good since I know I'll do about 15k a year, so an annual service is fine. Back home looking at my brochure (July 2006) the spec says every 12k, which is what I'd trust more than a dealer. Having agreed on a car, an 06, facelifted model, he told me it was 12k or 12 months, so perhaps the newer engines need more looking after. I used to run a petrol Punto with 12k intervals, doing then about 14k a year, so got used to the 10-11 month between trips to the dealer - I was always within 50 miles of the correct mileage! So although it will be more costly overall, I see the benefit compared to the longer service life cars. (Punto only once required non-routine maintainance, compare to the 307 we're now trading in which has been back so frequently for "issues" despite its variable servicing computer)

Can't be worse then the "service" on our Peugeot 307 (that we're about to trade in for the Megane Sport Tourer) in feb. I booked it in for MOT and requested a service. Service was 'free', yet the book (stating intermediate inspection) didn't get stamped. MOT certificate not given and then a few days later they rang my wife demanding payment (I had paid by CC). When my wife collected the MOT and got the book stamped they wrote the wrong mileage, and I'm wondering if they even serviced it as I requested, since it says there's only a few thousand miles on the computer to next service. That coupled with 6 weeks later the gearbox counterbalance falling off (5 weeks out of warranty, requiring 2 hours to fix) is why I would never buy another Peugeot.

Hologram
Passed Theory

Postby Hologram » Tue May 08, 2007 10:24 pm

It does seem very confusing.

I have a 1.6 registered 28th July 2006. Yesterday, after 6000 miles came up the "service due soon" message appeared!!

I cannot understand why. 6000 miles and 9 months old!

My last car was an 18k/2yr - this is a 12k /1yr model.

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Wed May 09, 2007 6:02 am

Hologram wrote:It does seem very confusing.

I have a 1.6 registered 28th July 2006. Yesterday, after 6000 miles came up the "service due soon" message appeared!!

I cannot understand why. 6000 miles and 9 months old!

My last car was an 18k/2yr - this is a 12k /1yr model.

It's not when it's registered but when it was built. If it's been sitting at your dealers for 2 months, then for the computer the car is 11 months old, hence the Change Oil Soon message.
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Hologram
Passed Theory

Postby Hologram » Wed May 09, 2007 4:01 pm

I did wonder that but as it was a factory order, and I had to wait for it, I assumed it would not have hung around that long.

Oh well.

Return to “Problems / Questions”