Worst Car I Ever Bought... anyone feel the same way?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

PGuk

Worst Car I Ever Bought... anyone feel the same way?

Postby PGuk » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:03 am

Hi everyone, I just wondered if there was anyone else having similar feelings regarding their Megane.

Last June I got a 14 month old 1.4 Dymanique 5dr, and was absolutely delighted with it...... for about 5 months.

Since then I've had problem after problem.

Front Indicator bulbs (both sides) routinely stop and start working - I know this is fixable, but still very irritating.

Car accelerates with varying amounts of power from start-off. Sometimes with even the slightest touch of the accelerator and gentlest clutch release and it sets off Concorde on a take-off run.

Car repeatedly either idles at 2600rpm with revving, or stalls at traffic lights. (Its not a vvti so I assume the dephaser pulley issue isn't the reason).

Passenger door leaks... so much so that my passenger window is now completely stuck in the down position. Waiting for renault to get it to go back up so I can secure my car!

The supposedly wonderful Cat1 alarm system no longer seems to function.

My rear windscreen wiper randomly stops working and the only way to get it to turn on is to switch off and open the drivers door to reset everything.

Front sensor wipers turning on a totally dry day and increase to above full speed! I thought they were going to fly off they were going so fast.

Headlights switching on in bright sunshine. I couldn't even switch them so they were set to sidelights only... they just remained on, and seemed to flash randomly at other cars.

This is only my third car. The last being a brand new ford, the first being an ageing Nissan. I would happily take back the 10yr old Nissan in exchange for my Megane. I will never ever buy a Renault car again and will spend the rest of my motoring life going out of my way to prevent my friends from making the same mistake.

This number of faults on a vehicle under 2 years old is disgraceful.

All the faults I've listed appear to be common issues, some dating back to launch. Renault should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for continuing to sell vehicles knowing that there's a high degree of probability that they'll develop these problems.

I'm guessing there'll be a mixed bag of replies. Some of you politely pointing out that all these things have been mentioned before. I guess I just need to let of some steam with some fellow Megane drivers. Its nearly midnight, I live in Nottingham (crime capitol of the world) and I have a car parked outside my house with a gaping hole where the window should be and a non-functioning alarm! I think I'm going to cry now.

Am I alone here?

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 am

hi mate

one can only laugh at there mis-furtune!!! :lol: :cry: :lol:

can you not return if to where you got it from??

you can say that "its not fit for purpose"

best thing to do .....if you haven't already.... get a baseball bat and smash the sh1t out of the car. then say sum local hollagons did it!!

shhhh....but dont tell anyone!!
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

steve123456
Learner Driver

Postby steve123456 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:23 pm

No youre not alone. Quite a few posts recently (mine included) from people have finally bitten the bullet & got rid. I loved the car, but hated the hassle & niggles , which shoulnt be acceptable on a car of this age and finally when the warranty was up and it would have meant putting my hand in my pocket (and lets face it -NOTHING on thar car is cheap to fix) it finally went.

At least you have still got 12 months of it not costing you - if you can live with the hassle.

Folks will try to say that all cars have faults. But I've had lots of cars , and none were as 'niggley' as the meggy. Its great if you can get every other friday off work- to drop it off at the garage on the way home.

Just joking -sort of.

wharfstaff
Passed Theory

Postby wharfstaff » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Totally agree with steve123456.
My Meg will be 3 next month, I'm getting rid on Saturday, only lost £2000 in eight months which isn't too bad, retail price to trade in :cry
Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:39 pm

wharfstaff wrote:Totally agree with steve123456.
My Meg will be 3 next month, I'm getting rid on Saturday, only lost £2000 in eight months which isn't too bad, retail price to trade in :cry

I agree with steve123456 too.

My new 06 Megane went after 9 months of various niggles and one major problem, but unlike wharstaff I lost a massive amount of money as I took a cash purchase from my supplying dealer. I am now 3 weeks away from getting a new Audi A3 Sportback and I can't wait :D

Once again the Megane is a great car and I loved my first one and the second one..... but not for long.

Really hope you get somewhere with your problems. :)

Woody Woo
Pass Plus

Postby Woody Woo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:29 pm

My 2004 dCi has generally been good although I have had some electrical problems. At least my dealer is very good which has helped.

In my opinion Renault need to sort out their electrics. The Megane is a brilliant car in many respects and I will buy another Renault when the time comes.

Renault Build A Better Car :D

robznet
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5dci

Postby robznet » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:15 am

Hi there

My car is exactly the same model and is 19 months old (the same as yours) I have had what can only be described as minor problems (electrical in nature).

As our two cars were probably built at around the same time, I feel you have been very unlucky with yours, for which you have my deepest sympathy.

My point is that no matter what make you decide to buy, there will always be a few with more problems than others, even my brother in laws mazda mx5 (55reg) had to be towed to the dealers yesterday, (very unusual for a Mazda!)

I for one will buy another Renault - and most probably a megane in mid 2008. But I have (so far) been very happy with mine.

Best wishes!!
1.5DCi Dynamique with comfort pack - Antique Green.

europa
Just Passed

Re: Worst Car I Ever Bought... anyone feel the same way?

Postby europa » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:49 am

PGuk wrote:Last June I got a 14 month old 1.4 Dymanique 5dr, and was absolutely delighted with it...... for about 5 months.

I can't help but feel that whatever happened in the first 14 months may have something to do with all these problems you are experiencing.

I hope you are able to sort them out, and when talking to your friends, please be sure to tell them you bought the car second-hand, not new.

With the sort of failures you are experiencing, I would have thought you have some issue with one or more of the computer modules. There were some posts previously about water intrusion causing a lot of this strange behaviour.

Personally I have had zero electrical malfunctions in 16 months of ownership.
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

MrAsia
Advanced Driver

Postby MrAsia » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:33 pm

I have had no problems in over a year with my 1.6L.
Australian's got the better end of the stick?
Remapped Mégane 1.6L

darel
Learner Driver

Re: Worst Car I Ever Bought... anyone feel the same way?

Postby darel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:03 pm

[quote
I can't help but feel that whatever happened in the first 14 months may have something to do with all these problems you are experiencing.

I hope you are able to sort them out, and when talking to your friends, please be sure to tell them you bought the car second-hand, not new.

With the sort of failures you are experiencing, I would have thought you have some issue with one or more of the computer modules. There were some posts previously about water intrusion causing a lot of this strange behaviour.

Personally I have had zero electrical malfunctions in 16 months of ownership.[/quote]

Most of the problems outline here are well known manufacturing defects, maybe the original owner wasnt good at complaining and getting them fixed on warrenty.

Have you guys had any rain in 16 months? as soon as it rains your meggy will leak like a sieve! (although maybe they fixed it by 05).

[/quote]

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Contrary to popular belief, yes it does rain in Australia! :-) I have driven through pouring rain, wipers at full speed. I have never seen any water in the car, including also after using pressure washing etc.
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Just bought a new Meg 1.6 Dyna 5 door this morning and still have my 53 plate 1.4 Dyna!! No probs with my original, so for what you pay I couldnt look past a new Meg then after I drove it this morning my decision was made for me! (steering seems a dream compared to the 53 plate? :lol: )

Get it on Wednesday all going well.

L77

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:03 pm

PGuk

I know where you are coming from, because I've been in the same situation with my previous car, (a 52 plate Laguna 1.9dCi 120) a lovely car when it worked, but definately built by some French blokes on a YTS scheme on a Friday afternoon. :td

I have only ever owned Renault's and generally had very good service from them and my dealer, this (I'm quite sure others will agree with me here) makes a big difference. I've had 9 and only one's been a really bad one out of the lot.
That's not to say they've been perfect, all of had them have had little problems but never let me down totaly (except the Laguna)
My current Megane is 200% better than the Laguna, but it too has had it's faults.
I've had problems with the Hand's free (It's packed up again this morning :evil: ) a failed engine mounting, but Renault's are prone to this,
and I've now got a problem with the steering column (I suspect)

Whatever car manufacturer you choose you are always going to get faults, you only need to read the problem pages in Auto Express, Ford, Seat, VW, BMW, Nissan, Peugeot etc... all have problems and hoards of unsatisfied customers.
The problem Renault suffer from is indifferent quality control and poor customer service from Renault UK and some dealers.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

PGuk

Bad dealer experience

Postby PGuk » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

Glad no-one rushed in with their replies. Nice to read some considered opinions especially from the last post.

Thought I'd give you a quick update to draw a line under the issue.

The service from the Renault dealer was dire. They replaced the window regulator which was defective. They denied the existence of the leak, suggesting the water in the door pocket was from me leaving the window open.

When asked to explain how the regulator failed, they stated it was likely to be water related, but this was normal since all car windows "naturally leak a small amount of water inside the door" and I was unlucky since this water had apparently "found its way into the regulator". Apparently I have the "newly designed, anti-leak door and door speakers backs", so "there's no way (I) could possibly have a leak". So basically I'm a liar, is what they were telling me. They seemed to be aware that the window problem is was a common fault - since the person who took my phone call asked if it was the passenger door before I had chance to tell her.

It rained again last night and I now have about 20ml of water in my door pocket once again. Getting very annoyed by this now.

They updated the engine management software. The revving has decreased, but the problem still persists. I'm struggling to get over 35mpg now in 5th gear driving at 65mph on a motorway. Before the problem started, I used to get 40-43mpg. The car has below average miles and hasn't been "thrashed" before anyone suggests this.

I'm still have problems getting the car into 1st and reverse gear. The dealer refused point blank to look at this problem, and said I "probably hadn't put the mat straight in the foot well and it was sticking under the clutch". I suspect it was because they had to fit me in to fix the window, and hadn't got time to start messing with the clutch (which I'm told is rather inaccessible, maybe someone knows more about this than me).

They also said that they couldn't do anything about the windscreen wipers not working properly. Since it was an intermittent fault, they said I'd have to bring the car in when it had the fault. Thats handy - so when I'm 150 miles north on the M6 (like last time), I'll turn the car around and drive straight back to the dealer, because they're open at 10pm on a Sunday night aren't they?

I would strongly advise anyone to avoid Sunwin Renault in Nottingham. The staff make out that all the problems are a figment of your imagination, or that you can't drive a car properly. The receptionist actually told me I should "try pushing the clutch down all the way" if I want to put the car in gear. How patronizing is that?

I'm trying another dealer in 2 weeks.

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:00 pm

L77 wrote:Just bought a new Meg 1.6 Dyna 5 door this morning and still have my 53 plate 1.4 Dyna!! No probs with my original, so for what you pay I couldnt look past a new Meg then after I drove it this morning my decision was made for me! (steering seems a dream compared to the 53 plate? :lol: )

Get it on Wednesday all going well.

Well what can I say, no less than I expected got the car on wednesday and I have been well happy with it and hope it stays this way, the brake's are defo easier to use ie (there easier to get used to) and the streeing is well better then my 53 plate, also the cool colours used on the dash is excellent and very stylish looking when lit up at night 8) 8) 8) !!! prob just because its new but the car feels so easy all round.

Nowt wrong with the 53 (still have it and keeping it) but as I have said before I am glad I have stuck by my word and got another meg.
The 53 is a 3 door and the new one is a 5 door, maybe its just me but does anyone think when your driving the 5 door you know you are and the same with the 3 door? I would say the roof seems to be lower in the 3 door?

So all in all happy to say again I am happy with my meg's 8) .

Cheers all.

________

____

L77

Return to “Problems / Questions”