Worst Car I Ever Bought... anyone feel the same way?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

stormbringer
Passed Theory

Postby stormbringer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:53 pm

I work in the car trade and can tell you that there are not many good garages around.
All cars have their problems .
We have five Clios and one Megane in the family.
Other than a broken cam belt on one clio (which Renault fixed out of w'tee) we have had no problems other than problems with the dealers them selfs.
Good luck and keep trying as the dealers will sort it out in the end ..
Maybe!!! :(

Le Grand Crapaud
Rally Driver
Location: Overlooking graveyard. Plot booked. Pretty picture awaited from commissioned artist!

Postby Le Grand Crapaud » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm

The water leak has nothing to do with the window malfunction. Whilst water ingress has dropped out of the top 5 Most Common Faults in Migraine lls, malfunctioning windows is on the up.

Build quality is getting better but then all the owners of early cars have done such a wonderful unpaid development engineering job for Renault SA.

There still seems to a problem with shut lines and poor panel fit but the Tourer we have been using in France has been fairly good. Mind you something still needs to be done with regard to wind noise, very probably the poor aerodynamic design of the door mirrors.

The steering is much better now that the design has been modified. Other niggles have been the same as on RHD cars, namely poor fitting of wipers so that the driver's side hits the w/s pillar.

The horn is pathetic though I have mentioned it in the past. Handbrake continues to be inadequate and the handsfree is useless as it only works half the time.

However Renault SA's health care people must double check that the north African seamstresses be given far more stringent eye tests and stopped pinching the good thread and replacing it with something cheap from Prix Unic!

The latest engine (130 FAP) is much better provided you never enter a metropolitan area. If you do the car really kicks up a stink about it but then wouldn't you?

All-in-all a very slight improvement since Q 4 2002. Renault SA are to be congratulated for once. They have gone forward very slightly (after 4.5 years) and may get there by the time Mégane lll arrives.
Anton Bufonidae hops again and again and again and again and again!

mr kuryakin

Postby mr kuryakin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:30 pm

i had enough of mine and got rid of it as well.it was a 53 1.6 dyn.it was a disgrace that a car with a low milage had to get so much work done to it.i had new coils,new clutch new n/s window regulator,new air con compressor,new n/s mirror unit,new dephaser pulley,they tried in vane to fix a steering knock over the slightest bump,the auto wipers had a mind of there own,the rear wiper chose if it wanted to work or not it rattled from everywhere especially from cold.the indicator bulbs kept blowing,the hands free packed in on a regular occasion,the dealer was worse that crap so i changed dealer and they were even worse i didnt think that was possible.the final straw was just before christmas i shut the drivers door locked the car and the window went down and would not go back up the car was now out of warranty and they wanted £300 to fix it.on a positive note it was a comfortable car and i still like the look of them but i will never buy an other renault again

jkspoff
Passed Theory

Postby jkspoff » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:58 pm

If its still under warranty, make a massive list of all the faults, get every single one sorted, but make sure you get a coutesy car, and if they don't fix every fault refuse to give back the courtesy car, it worked for me, they had it over a week, and replaced all the faulty components, mostly for free ! You shouldn't have to do this, but the dealer can claim it all back from Renault. The only thing is, the dealer has to recognise the fault, and have the fault occur whilst its with them, to cover it on warranty.
Renault Laguna II 2.2Dci Privilege Tourer 2003, sat nav and Renault Scenic II, 2004, Dynamique 1.9 Dci, panoramic roof

Irons

Postby Irons » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:33 am

L77 wrote:
L77 wrote:Just bought a new Meg 1.6 Dyna 5 door this morning and still have my 53 plate 1.4 Dyna!! No probs with my original, so for what you pay I couldnt look past a new Meg then after I drove it this morning my decision was made for me! (steering seems a dream compared to the 53 plate? :lol: )

Get it on Wednesday all going well.

I am in the same position as you - 53 plate sport hatch and 56 plate 5 door and you are right - the new Megane is world's better and in 6 months we have had no reliability issues at all, just one loose panel by clutch. However, my Sport Hatch is a completely different story... after breaking down on the motorway at midnight last night, if my wife would let me it would be staying at the dealer where it is now for good...
1.6 Dynamique Hatch (2006), Extreme Blue, Comfort Pack
1.6 Privilege Hatch (2009)

PGuk

A little update

Postby PGuk » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:30 pm

OK, thought i'd give a little update...

Problems now fixed:

Door leak through speaker grill - fixed on second attempt

Malfunctioning window - new regulator installed

Revving / Idling probelm - 2.5 weeks in 3 dealers... no courtesy car. Finally fixed with a replacement alternator circuit (renault technical department knew all about this - so its obviously happened before). It took an e-mail to the Director of Renault UK to get this fixed!!!! Renault Customer Services had originally said there was nothing they could do despite one garage giving up trying to fix it!

NEW PROBLEM:

The car now "misfire" and suddenly loses engine power. I'm guessing its had an ignition coil failure, but who knows.

Car is out of warranty soon and its averaging a trip to the dealers every 4 weeks! So to cut a long story short I've had enough... Shame really - I actually like the car - just can't afford to be without it any longer or pay for all the work it requires on a monthly basis.

WLX1985

Postby WLX1985 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:08 pm

Unlucky mate, I really dont want to post anything as I have probably jinxed it!! but appart from a few minor niggles, 30K later on the clock and its mint, love it more now than the day I got it, shame you feel that way because they are a great car.
2004 Megane 1.6 VVT Sport Coupe - I like Big buts and I cannot Lie!

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Had my 53 plate, 1.4 Dyna until 3 weeks ago (I had it for 16 months with not one prolem) I got up on a Saturday morning and decided I wanted a 225 :lol: , by 1pm that day I had bought a meg 225 :lol: , the car is awesome enjoying it more and more everyday, not just saying that but in black gold in the sun with the pana roof open the car is brill and very affordable 8) , I would defo recommend a megane to anyone.

L77

w0mbat

Postby w0mbat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:15 pm

I must have had a good one then (a 1.9Dci in Flame Red)

Only just swapped it this week for a new Scenic II, but together we did just under 80,000 miles in 3 years. Apart from a few door locking sensors going (all swapped under warranty) and the glow plugs needing swapping about 4 months ago, it never let me down.

Best car I have had by far......

Sorry, not saying this to dig the knife in any further, just wanted to say that there are some great examples of Megane II's around. Really hope your luck improves with yours.

Neil
Current Car : 07 Scenic II Dynamique 1.9Dci
Previous : 53 Megane II Dynamique 1.9Dci

Return to “Problems / Questions”