Water collecting in door pocket

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Hoody
Just Passed

Water collecting in door pocket

Postby Hoody » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Hi guys,
Has anyone had this problem or is just me? Everytime it rains heavy overnight, my g/friend gets in the passenger side on a morning and there is around an inch of water collected in the door pocket. When i wash the car or it rains when i am driving there is no problem. I cant seem to find where the water is getting in so it is booked into the dealers just after the new year.

Anyone that has any idea what the problem could be i would be grateful.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Widely known problem.

Solution:

Remove the door panel and speaker, apply sealant to speaker and panel, reassemble.

Take it to your dealer, they can fix it in less than an hour...
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:17 pm

Take it back to your dealer, this is warranty repair.
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

rjs968

Postby rjs968 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:20 pm

i've got the same problem, they failed to fix it first time round, trying again next week.

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:27 pm

same problem, see previous posts, they have had mine 2 months now looking to find problem

Ogwen

Same problem here - both doors

Postby Ogwen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:17 am

And the dealer has failed to fix it three times!

trading standards time...

rach74
Learner Driver

Postby rach74 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:34 am

failed to fix mine now 4 times, and they still have car trying to sort it out, i have now said im not paying any more money and renualt uk are involved now, cant wait til the summer and i will sell it, on a 53 plate and done 15k miles i think this is just a mess, i love the car but cant be doing with all these faults, i wanted hassle free driving, i was better off driving my 15 year old cars around than buying a brand new car

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.5DCi + Lexus RX 300

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:27 am

hi all

i have just ha this problem!!!

its F**king annoying...i just lost my VAT recipts !!! drenched in water!

is it a manufacturing fault then??

cos my speakers have popped....
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

Hoody
Just Passed

Postby Hoody » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:28 am

Hi Iceman, it is a manufacturing defect. I took mine back to the dealers and they have sorted it now. They remove your dooe card and add some sealant to the area around the speaker and at the top of your door where the water gets in.

Nick
Megane II 1.5 Dci Dynamique 3dr, Ottoman Blue, Private Registration, Sony GT30RN Head Unit, ShinyAutos.com Interior White LED Kit, 3rd Brake Light Cover, MOC Sticker

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:43 am

Cheers nick, but some how i dont think they will compensate the damaged speakers...they were £600!!!!
:tut
:curse:mad
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
:( :( :sad
:cry: :cry: :cry: :?:

:vio
Black Megane - Black Tints - Black 18" Rims with Chrome - Angel Eyes - Shark Fin - Tail Fins - Kenwood DNX7200 - ipod Video -Hertz Space 6.5" Components - PG Ti500.4 - MTX 9544-15" Sub - Orion D5000 - Audison Cabling - Optima Power = NICE

^Andy^
Pass Plus

Postby ^Andy^ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:04 pm

They will probably suggest that the installation of your speakers caused the problem too.

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:31 pm

they already have...called them they want to see the car...he said that if the door card has been removed the it could break the seal....to which i responded:

the door card was alread removed prior to the installation of the speakers, from renault + to replace the speakers you only take the grills off!

but might be an issue as the door has dynamat applied!! so the door card has been detached.

but the ingress of water has damaged both of my speakers as there is no other possibility...ive been back to the installers about 5 times to resolve this - heated discussions. But i bought the speakers...went to the place where i purchased them from - he shown me a test sheet for the speakers

besides the above, what else can i say??

WebCode
Rally Driver

Postby WebCode » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:28 pm

Firstly there are a couple of issues here..

The design of the door and the water drainage is pretty poor.. When it rains water runs down the glass into the door cavity and runs down the back of the card. So water ingress inside the vehicle will be due to:

1: Poor plastic welding on the inside of the door card/pocket.
Solution: to apply silicon sealant to the weld by removing the door card..

2: A small hole that was moulded into the early OE speakers, allowing it to enter the vehicle and into the door pocket.
Solution: Replace the speakers with modified ones.

Now we then get into a problem with fitting aftermarket speakers.. If you look at the OE ones the basket and magnet are very shallow.
Looking into the mounting hole the card has a moulded "hood" that stops the rainwater run off running onto the magnet/cone.. So if speakers that are even a little deeper are fitted then the water will run onto the magnet/cone quickly damaging them..
There is also a foam seal fitted to the mating flange on the OE speakers. If the new speakers do not have it fitted then water will easily get into the pocket.

I fitted the Pioneer set TS-Q131C. These are supposed to be direct replacements. However with the first rain fall I had intermittant ouput from them. So I removed them and found water had go onto the connector. I had to extend the "hood" by a few mm to stop the water from getting to them..

See some of my comments here https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... ss&start=0 and https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... rs+pioneer
EX Renault Dealer Technician & MOT Tester, Not a Monkey!

ICEMAN
Advanced Driver

Postby ICEMAN » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:00 pm

webcode

thank you, at least i can take this to the dealer and show him that it is not a fault with installation and that other garages have admitted it is a manufacturing fault.

let hope they will do something!!

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:48 pm

No probs with the TS-Q131C's here, no leaks, no water intrusion. Easiest speaker installation I have ever performed.
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

Return to “Problems / Questions”