WATER INGRESSION - Renault Megane 1.9 Dynamique 03

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Have you experienced Water Ingression with your 03 Renault Megane 1.9d Dynamique

Yes
88%
No
13%

Total votes: 8

saffron winslow

WATER INGRESSION - Renault Megane 1.9 Dynamique 03

Postby saffron winslow » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:00 am

Hi,

I am currently taking renault to court over water ingression that has fried the electrics of my renault megane 1.9d Dynamique. I have read on several websites that water ingression is an inherent problem with 03 models - I am looking for people with similar experiences to come forward and share their experiences, and whether they managed to resolve the problem.

I bought the vehicle 1 years ago from the carshop warehouse in Northampton, since buying the vehicle I have had several problems - I took out an exteneded warrenty, but apparently this doesn't cover water ingression - I have contacted Renault but because the manufacturer warrenty ran out a few months ago they are not interested. So I am stuck with a bill of £3000 + if I want to get repaired.

Trading Standards are now involved and they think that I have a good case, but we need as much evidence as possible of other people experiencing a similar problem... Please get in touch as soon as possible if you think you can help.

steves

Postby steves » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:44 am

I won't vote, because we've got the petrol engine (1.6 VVT) not the diesel.

However, we had problems with water ingression in to the electrics. Ours is an 2003 car (took delivery in February of that year).

Luckily (if only from a financial point of view!) our problems occured when the car was still under warranty (about a year old I think).

I don't know the details of what was replaced, or what was paid to put it right (as I said, it was covered under the warranty) but I believe it might have included a new computer/ECU (or whatever they call them). If I remember rightly, I think a cover wasn't fixed properly (in the factory) and water had got in where it shouldn't have been, and corroded some connectors which had eventually shorted everything out.

I wasn't driving the car at the time, but according to my wife, the symptons were sudden catastrophic failure of the electrical system. The engine still ran, but the power steering failed, and all electrical accessories suddenly went crazy. The push button wouldn't stop the car, she had to stall it by putting it in gear and dropping the clutch with the handbrake on - which seems a safety issue to me.

Don't know if this helps you or not.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:13 pm

Firstly welcome to the forum :wave

Sorry to hear that you have had problems with your car. Early Megane's were very hit and miss with build quality. I think there are a number of threads throughout the forum that talk about various instances of water ingress. Have you had a look on the forum at Parkers? https://www.parkers.co.uk It might be worth popping this topic on there as well as AntMat and JustG are good with things like this, (make sure you post in the Megane II thread though!)

Renault have a scheme that covers failures out of warranty, they usually contribute a percentage of the repair cost depending on whats failed and how long out of warranty you are. Seeing as you are only 4 month out of warranty I would expect a big contribution, but I could be wrong?

Hope you get a speedy and satisfactory resolution
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

sideswipe
Advanced Driver

Postby sideswipe » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:43 pm

I had a huge problem with this, here is the proof.

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... highlight=
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.

wharfstaff
Passed Theory

Postby wharfstaff » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:43 am

Good judgment comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgment.

bchin59

Re: WATER INGRESSION - Renault Megane 1.9 Dynamique 03

Postby bchin59 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:17 pm

[quote="saffron winslow"]Hi,

I am currently taking renault to court over water ingression that has fried the electrics of my renault megane 1.9d Dynamique. I have read on several websites that water ingression is an inherent problem with 03 models - I am looking for people with similar experiences to come forward and share their experiences, and whether they managed to resolve the problem.

I bought the vehicle 1 years ago from the carshop warehouse in Northampton, since buying the vehicle I have had several problems - I took out an exteneded warrenty, but apparently this doesn't cover water ingression - I have contacted Renault but because the manufacturer warrenty ran out a few months ago they are not interested. So I am stuck with a bill of £3000 + if I want to get repaired.

Trading Standards are now involved and they think that I have a good case, but we need as much evidence as possible of other people experiencing a similar problem... Please get in touch as soon as possible if you think you can help.[/quote]

Hi

I currently own a 1.5DCI 52 plate 03 registered, my underfoor storage boxes in the front keeps filling up with water when it rains. I have had the dealer look at this problem 3 times under warranty, they keep telling me the problem has been fixed. Car was returned last thursday with problem fixed, rained friday boxes are filling up again.

Return to “Problems / Questions”