1,6 K4M VVT Problem (Hesitation when cold, loss of power)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Do you own a 1,6 VVT and experience this problem?

Yes
90%
No
10%

Total votes: 134

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:35 pm

Yes I own a 1,6 16V, got it new in April 2005 and I´m also registered in german forums, there it is the same, also Scénic drivers and the CC-guys suffer from this...depends on the Euro4 exhaustgas regulation...
best regards
Oliver

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:00 pm

Hmm... The Megane II was launched in 2002, so it obeys Euro III regulations... The engine in 2005 models is the same... The facelift model launched in 2006 has a Euro IV engine...

Either way, the question remains - some members experience this and others do not. What's the deal here?
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:43 pm

silencer51 wrote:Hmm... The Megane II was launched in 2002, so it obeys Euro III regulations... The engine in 2005 models is the same... The facelift model launched in 2006 has a Euro IV engine...

Either way, the question remains - some members experience this and others do not. What's the deal here?

In Germany the 1,6 16V (with the K4M-760 engine) did always obay the Euro4 or D4 regulations, from the beginning on it was sold.

Regarding the "Effekt" I wouldn´t see it as black and white, the experience here is also that some have it, some do not, but there is a lot between, some have the effekt only very light, some only a few times and so on, seems that there are more things playing together.

So my car for example had its bad behaviour only when I do a coldstart between 5°C and 20°C. No problem in Winter at -15°C and also on hot Summerdays at 30°C.

And there is also some other strange behaviour that became better with the platinum spark plugs, when I startet the cold car, drove only 5 meters out of my car port and then stopped the engine again to for example load the car, when I then wanted to start the engine after about 15 minutes I often needed a second attempt, with the platinum spark plugs I only recognize that the rpm is rising litle slower than normal.

For this there would be some reasons, maybe the engine runs to rich in this condition, second you have some misfiring in cold start, or last thing I could imagine also the VVT....
best regards

Oliver

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:01 pm

Your comments are very enlightening Oliver.

Can you please post the relevant thread on the German forums?

I can speak and read German (although it is a bit rusty at the moment... :oops: )...

Set dephasers to stall!

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:24 pm

Hi guys,

As far as I know, the procedure to replace the dephaser pulley (Tech Note 4432A) first starts by saying " Reprogramme the ECU to latest firmware", then " Check Dephaser Solenoid" then finally "Change Dephaser Pulley".

If any of these is ommitted, then you may still have the problem.

Also, if you've been having the problem for some time, the hesitation when cold could have caused other damage, from simply burning or ruining a spark plug, to a damaged Oxygen sensor.

If you've had the procedure above done, ie ECU reprogrammed, dephaser solenoid changed and dephaser pulley changed, but still have the hesitation, try changing the Spark plugs (however I suggest the same spark plug as was original for it).

HTH Silencer51!
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

meganeboy
Pass Plus

Postby meganeboy » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:26 pm

silencer51 wrote:Hmm... The Megane II was launched in 2002, so it obeys Euro III regulations... The engine in 2005 models is the same... The facelift model launched in 2006 has a Euro IV engine...

I was also under the impression that my Megane (built May 2005) is a EURO4 and not a EURO3.... at least that's what my dealership says!
Meg2 Sedan, 1.6VVT, Hologram Grey, Climate Control, 16" alloys, Pioneer DEH-P6900IB, JBL GTO527, Pioneer TS-Q131-C, Osram Silverstar, NGK Iridium plugs

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:23 am

silencer51 wrote:...
Can you please post the relevant thread on the German forums?

I can speak and read German (although it is a bit rusty at the moment... :oops: )...

I think this is the best: https://www.scenic-forum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3750 because it includes also an official answer fom Renault.

Other interesting german Forums:

https://www.megane-board.de/ (down at the moment, don´t know why...)
https://www.megane-forum.com

Regarding the sparkplugs: This is only my personal experience, I had the effekt (loss power 1-2min after cold start) from the beginning on (0km) and when I installed the sparkplugs at 3,500km it became much better. Not more, not less......
best regards

Oliver

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:21 am

Vielen dank Oliver! :)

Set dephasers to stall!

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:59 am

Bitteschön. :D
best regards

Oliver

vijay488
Passed Theory

Postby vijay488 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Ok guys,

So I don't know German.
I ran it through google's translator, and the gist of it is that the problem is caused by the fuel type, correct?

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:54 pm

vijay488 wrote:Ok guys,

So I don't know German.
I ran it through google's translator, and the gist of it is that the problem is caused by the fuel type, correct?

Not by the type itself, by the fuel quality......says renault....

Sorry but this is rubbish, the fuel quality in germany is very stable and very good. And I didn´t experience any difference when using ROZ98 instead of ROZ95. I also tried the Shell "V-Power" with 100 octane nothing different, and there is also no reason why this should have an impact.

The only thing that might be, is that the engine is very sensitive against ethanol in the fuel (ethanol has a bad vapuration behaviour and tneds to wall film effects). The new EU-fuel norm (EN DIN 228 ) allows up to 5% ethanol in benzine without any special declaration. But in germany it´s about 2%.
best regards

Oliver

vijay488
Passed Theory

Postby vijay488 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:54 pm

So I definitely have problems.

We have a very poor fuel quality here. In Trinidad, we only get 91 and 95 RON, and it's distilled locally by the local petroleum company. I recently started using an octane booster, and an injection cleaner alternately on fill-ups.

The problem isn't as pronounced, but I still have the drop in RPM when accelerating and the gear changes from 1st to second, around 4000 rpm.

I already had iridium plugs, and an ITG filter. I'm due for my 60000km service in a couple weeks, so I'll prob try to have it re-programmed and see what happens.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:21 pm

Vijay, do you have the hesitation problem only when the engine is cold? Or all the time?

I'm almost ready to go ahead and order a couple of new Bosch lambda (O2) sensors... It is the act of a desperate person, I know! :(

Do you find this decision unjustified? I've tried replacing everything else on the bloody engine! :(

And no, I won't accept that 'some 1,6 engines are more equal than others' (to paraphrase Orwell)... All engines from 2002 to 2006 are made in the same factories, have the same specs and use the same parts...

They should all operate well, be it hot or cold! :evil:

Set dephasers to stall!

Oliver
Just Passed

Postby Oliver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:02 pm

Yes they are all made in the same factory. Maybe it´s the combination of a lot of tolerances, mecanical and electrical, that judges if the engine is a good one or a bad one.....
best regards

Oliver

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:37 pm

While the morning start hesitation has been there from when the car was new, I'm almost 100% sure that each year, with every winter, it gets more and more noticeable.

That's why I've come to the conclusion that a sensor, somewhere, must be deteriorating...

Set dephasers to stall!

Return to “Problems / Questions”