Oh no, please, no... (EPS, members read!)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Do you have variable power steering assistance on your Megane?

Yes, I can definitely feel it when driving around
61%
Nope, my steering feels the same whether I'm going slow or fast
39%

Total votes: 31

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Oh no, please, no... (EPS, members read!)

Postby silencer51 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:23 pm

I was browsing the forum trying to find some solution to my Meggie's nagging problem (described in other threads, the 'tap' or 'clunk' sensation felt throught the steering wheel on a few occasions when turning left or right), when I came upon pw981's post about the electronic power steering system.

I too, distinctly remember how, 3 years ago, when I accelerated violently I could feel the steering getting heavier - the main effect of the variable power steering assistance.

However, I can no longer feel this - it seems that the assistance is constant whether I am going fast or slow... :(

Do I have a defective power steering unit? Is there anything that can be done via the CLIP to reset it? If it's broken, then why does it provide normal assistance? I really can't see myself paying 1000+ euros for a new one... :?
Last edited by silencer51 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:53 pm

my steering feeling is dead, It's like mine doesn't change at all since new.
it's neither light or heavy regardless of if i'm doing a tight parking maneouver or a motorway cruise.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:10 pm

It seems some people have variable steering assistance, and others have constant assistance...

I wonder if this can be changed via the CLIP...

On the other hand, perhaps this is a 'feature' - most reviews of the Megane have panned it's over servo'd steering, yet I think on my car the steering has the right balance of weight & comfort...

Can I add a poll to the original post? Perhaps we can track down this 'problem' if more members describe their steering feel...

Set dephasers to stall!

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:22 pm

silencer51 wrote:Can I add a poll to the original post? Perhaps we can track down this 'problem' if more members describe their steering feel...
Just click on EDIT on your original post and u can add the appropriate poll data. If you can't, tell me what you want and I'll edit your post for you.

I might have been a bit harse on my statement above. I DO have variable assistance... performing a turn in the road before to go to the supermarket before a blast down the nice 60mph limit road, there is a SLIGHT difference in the steering assistance between the 2 driving situations... but the feel of the steering is dead and you don't get a feel for the road (which was revised in the 2006 models).

Over-servo'd Steering? Try driving a Toyota Yaris!

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:59 pm

LGC has written in another thread that this problem is caused by water ingress which fouls up the steering assistance circuit.

How can that be? There is simply no way for water to reach the sealed EPS unit (right under the steering wheel), so I'm guessing that said circuit is located elsewhere in the engine compartment?

If so, what is its location? Can it be replaced/recalibrated etc.?

Set dephasers to stall!

pw981
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: 04 Megane 1.9dCi replaced with a 07 Toyota Auris 2.2 D-CAT 180

Postby pw981 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:19 pm

I can't remember my post on the EPS!

But my steering is dead. It has the same 'weighting' whether going fast or slow. Maybe once in the blue moon whilst parking it is very light.

I remember driving an 05 Reg 1.4 Megane courtesy car - the EPS on this was light ALL the time, horrific to drive on the motorway but kinda alright around town!

My 2004 1.9dCi Megane feels quite 'heavy' - apart from the once in the blue moon incidents!

Phil
2004 Megane II 1.9dCi

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:24 pm

So... are we the lucky ones (so to speak)? :lol:

Set dephasers to stall!

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:25 pm

It would be nice if all the people that voted posted their car's specs... :wink:

Set dephasers to stall!

dave904
Learner Driver

Postby dave904 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:22 am

As I'm not too mechanically minded I don't know whether this is feasible but maybe it would be a good idea to contact a renault dealer and ask the question as to whether or not there are 2 types of steering assisstance.,either constant or variable steering assisstance.
If so which models/years of cars have this and can it be reset in any way.
Com on baby, shake your Booty!!!!

72uoba
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Renault Laguna 2007 GT 175

Postby 72uoba » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:13 am

All models should have variable assistance.

Mine is a '04' 1.4. I don't really notice a speed dependent difference but never find the steering weight inappropiate, either.

A lot of movement back and forth will slow it down considerably, though. (Discovered whilst weaving to investigate another problem).

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:56 am

I can feel the variable assistance. It's really light when under 70kph, heavier until roughly 140kph and it feels lighter from there on.
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:59 pm

Its slightly different bewtween our two cars. The CC (2.0vvt dynamique) is march 05 (built late jan 05) and has the "pre phase 1.5" features - slightly smaller red button on radio etc... The steering does change weight from slow to fast but is a bit short on feel throughout. The weighting is fine, just feels dead. The tourer (dci120 dynamique) is Jul05 and is the "phase 1.5" version. The steering is much better in terms of feel and seems to be a bit sharper too. the weight is very light when parking and nicely weighted when on the move. Although there is a definite improvement on the later car neither has a fantastic amount of feel but in some ways I prefer that - it makes it very relaxing. I tend to find that unless you are really on the edge it becomes quite tiring to have too much feel back through the steering wheel - who needs to feel every little ridge and ripple in the tarmac?
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:04 pm

Another factor for 'feel' is the tyre size/rim size. Are both cars of your identical in that area DaveP. Larger tyres/bigger rims will definately feel 'heavier' and give more feedback.
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:45 pm

Read
... link removed ...
, it describes steering faults.

It can be found in Yahoo, Google, etc. Those who have bought docs from ebay can search their disks.

I like meg2 steering. It is not suitable for racing though.
Last edited by AlexB on Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:55 pm

Unfortunately the pdf file you are refering to can only be found in Czech or sthg, not English... Do you have a link?

Set dephasers to stall!

Return to “Problems / Questions”