Strange Vibes? A question for 1.5dCi Owners

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Strange Vibes? A question for 1.5dCi Owners

Postby IainMW » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:12 pm

I have noticed over the last week or so that I'm getting a lot of engine vibration being transmitted through the stearing wheel and the drivers seat at tickover :?
I can honestly say that I've nevered noticed this before? The engine's always been very smooth in every aspect, and I'm not experiencing any other running problems.
If I raise the engine revs by 100rpm the vibrations disappear, (turning the AC on has the same effect as this raises the revs slightly)

So my question:-
Have any of you 1.5dCi owners have, had or noticed this problem?

I seem to remember a post somewhere about broken engine mounting brackets? I would have thought that if I had got a duff engine mounting bracket then I would have noticed other symptoms?

I'm heading past my dealer this afternoon, so I'll call in, but just thought I'd check here beforehand

Cheers
Iain
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

AndyAdmin
Site Admin

Postby AndyAdmin » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:26 pm

Sorry mate not heard of that...i got a strange vibration in the cabin 1st thing on a morning at a particular revs but think that was just a loose screw.

would be interested to hear what the dealer says
Form is temporary, class is permanent.

Beer Reviews Beer Blog

It's Chilli up North.

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:01 pm

Had the car back at the dealers yesterday afternoon for an initial investigation.
I've had to book it in as they were really busy but the owner (who I'm very friendly with) sat in the drivers seat and agreed that there did seem to be a lot of vibration being transimitted through into the cabin. He thinks it may be the top engine mounting, but could'nt be sure as he's never come across this problem on the 1.5dCi?

It's going in next week as I'm still not happy with the air con, (temperature and the whooshing noise it makes at low speeds) so they will look at it then.

I used to have a similar problem on my MK1 Clio where the engine used to "settle" on it's mountings, loosening the mountings and repositioning the engine slightly used to solve the problem. So maybe this is something similar. (I guessing here?)
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

L_Stix

Postby L_Stix » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:10 pm

I have had this same problem with my 1.5dci engine vibrating, but every time I bring it back to the garage they say there is nothing wrong with it. So I would be very interested to hear how you get on.

silencer51
Advanced Driver

Postby silencer51 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:13 pm

I think there might be something wrong with one or more of the engine mounts (typical Renault problem)...
Gray Megane II 1,6 5dr hatch 05/2003
Set dephasers to stall!

L_Stix

Postby L_Stix » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:43 pm

Does anyone know how to get in contact with Renault head office in the UK as I am having problems with the dealer.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:16 pm

Rover

Postby Rover » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 am

Hi Iain

Maybe its not just a dCi problem. Read this topic below. My Car was fixed by changing the upper engine mount which tends to give way early on some Meganes. Severe Vibration at idle and at other RPMs. Also some exhaust clunking.

Cheers

https://www.meganeownersclub.co.uk/forum ... php?t=2883

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:53 pm

Well the car finally goes in to have this looked at on the 31st, had to cancel the other date for various reasons.

Since I first noticed this, it's got worse. I now get a grumbling/knocking noise when setting off particularly if I don't give it enough rev's e.g on hill starts. I also get a sort of hollow knocking noise when driving along at low speed.

Rover

Postby Rover » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:08 pm

Iain, Sounds like your Lower Engine mount. After my top mount was replaced (lots of noise and Vibration) , my lower mount has subsequently failed and I am awaiting the part to arrive from France ( Renault is a much smaller maque in Australia). Symptoms are as you descibe, Excessive knocking and thumping etc.

Renault Australia says its a very common fault on the turbo models ( mine is a bread and butter 2.0 l petrol however )

Cheers

Denis :)

BigAL

Tickover vibrations(excessive)

Postby BigAL » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:54 pm

Dear suffering comrade(s),
I am a driving instructor and to date i have lost 5 full days work while my dci 100 has been in our local dealer's workshop,the last time being for 2 consecutive days!
All they have done,thus far,is to repeatedly administer an engine treatment instructing me to monitor if there is any improvement.
However,should there be no improvement after this latest treatment,they have requested to have the car for a further consecutive 3 days in order to remove the cylinder head and investigate piston rings etc!
I shall call them tomorrow to inform them of the possibility of it being the top engine mount. I thank you all for your input.
Incidentally,did any of you notice that,when in reverse,the tickover immediately returned to normal.
Furthermore, in the 26 years i have been teaching,i can honestly say that this has been the most unreliable vehicle. So many random and repetitive technical faults.
Yet inspite of this reality,i love driving it and so do my pupils although a lot of them struggle with the touchy brakes!
Regards
BigAL

Gillykid
Just Passed

Postby Gillykid » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:00 pm

Interestingly mine has started to develop the same problem and is especially worse when warm. It comes through the pedals, steering and seat.

I will be watching with interest. Anyone else experiencing / solved it?
Current: Volvo S40 S Sport 2.0D :)
Previous: Renault Megane II Coupe Carbriolet 2.0 T Privledge

Rover

Postby Rover » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:11 am

G'Day Gillykid,

Yep, my problems were:

Noise and Vibration harshess - Solved by Upper engine mount.

Thumping and knocking on startup and through the gears and eratic idle - now fixed due to replacement of the lower engine mount (Just changed two days ago).

All mount problems have been rectified and car drives like new.

The Top and bottom mounts are captive mounts that do not bear load - just provide isolation for the motor.

Now my LHSide front Blinker is on the fritz again - Renault Australia keep cleaning it rather than changing the connector.

Seems that the car will always have niggling little problems. However still beats the pants off a Camry :)

Cheers

Denis

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:20 am

BigAL

What king of engine treatment are we talking about here, Oil or Fuel or both.
Why would they want to take your cylinder head off, unless they suspect you have one or more cylinders that are a bit low on compression; In my opinion, a compression test needs to be done first, and then if there is a problem, the cylinder head might need to come off, but surely they would know this?
Injectors can cause problems, (as Redders will confirm) so this might be another area that's causing rough running and a lumpy idle.
The nature of your business means that the car will spend most of it's time running at low spead, and the injectors may have got clogged up? Does it ever get a good blast? (i.e an Italian tune up) to clear the carbon buildup away?
Try using a fuel treatment, like Millers Diesel Power plus, or Redex or the new one by Comma and some decent fuel like Shell Extra or BP Ultimate, and go against everything you teach your students and give it some whelly for a few miles down the motorway or quiet country lanes.

After all my waffling I suspect like me it's an engine mounting problem. I should be used to this now with Renault, as both my 1.9D Clio's, 2.2D Laguna and my 1.9dTi Megane all had their top engine mountings replaced at least once.
I can also confirm that when reverse is selected the revs do rise ever so slighlty, thus smoothing out the vibrations likewise turning the Air Con on does the same thing. Mine goes in tonight, so I'll update as soon a I have any news.

IainMW
F1 Driver

Postby IainMW » Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:09 pm

Just spoken to the garage and my top engine mounting has gone :( and surprise surprise there are no engine mountings available until tomorrow, so I am without the car for another day :cry

So the wife will have to take me work again :)

Return to “Problems / Questions”