My Glass Roof Has Just Expoloded - Has Yours?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Ray
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane Privilege - Now Sold

Postby Ray » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:39 pm

europa wrote:"ramming the dealership" won't fix it though :roll:

*has the image of terminator saying "i'll be back" then ramming his car thru the wall*

Phil_G

Postby Phil_G » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:12 pm

All I can say is thank god for the sunblind! These are the pictures from the car this thread is about

dtj01

Postby dtj01 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:07 am

Thanks to Phil G for posting the above pictures.

As you can see the toughened roof glass has shattered - but not into little pieces as it is supposed to.

As mentioned previously my 11 week old daughter was sat in the front seat under this glass and it was only the fact that the roller blind was pulled shut that this glass did'nt hit her.

This is a serious safety issue. Even in Euro Ncap testing the first thing to shatter is the glass and with an area of glass this big why is'nt it laminated? Even the EPGAA - governing body for automotive glass safety - is asking for glass to be laminated (https://www.epgaa.com).
More and more cars start to have full glass roofs - for that light and roomy feel - not only Renault but Ford, Pugs, Toyotas, Minis, Vauxhall etc etc.

This combined with the rear window shattering on Saturday - when I turned on the heated rear window - I think something needs to be reviewed at Renault. Maybe it was a dodgy batch of glass - maybe not?

I'll keep you all posted - thanks for reading.

shinyautos.com
Pass Plus

Postby shinyautos.com » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:58 pm

mate, sue them...

I can't quite believe that a 5* N cap car can have an area of glass that big and not be laminated. :shock:

Thank gawd, your little girls ok, i shudder to think of the consequences.
Adam

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:18 pm

It's not good by any means, but remember it is still safety glass - not plate glass - ie. it's not broken into large triangular shards.

I was in a car accident as a kid where a toughened glass windscreen shattered (and I got covered in the pieces) - I sustained the tiniest cut to one finger - it's pretty safe. Not something you'd have done to you by choice of course, but not lethal either.
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

Old Bill
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: LY R26 Lux No 2875

Postby Old Bill » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Holy Crap :!: :!:

Good to hear that the family are all OK.

At least on the bright side, things can only get better with the car!

Privilege
Advanced Driver

Postby Privilege » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:19 pm

europa wrote:It's not good by any means, but remember it is still safety glass - not plate glass - ie. it's not broken into large triangular shards.

I was in a car accident as a kid where a toughened glass windscreen shattered (and I got covered in the pieces) - I sustained the tiniest cut to one finger - it's pretty safe. Not something you'd have done to you by choice of course, but not lethal either.

Also its much better than laminated if you are trapped in the car as the fire service can easily smash toughened glass whereas laminated is a different story :?
Audi A3 Sportback: Mar 07: 1.6 SE: Tiptronic: Dolphin Grey

dtj01

Outcome to the sage

Postby dtj01 » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:25 pm

All

Thanks for your posts.

I am pleased to say this complaint is now resolved for our family. We are very grateful to our dealership who have been very supportive in our complaints to Renault about our expereinces in our Megane. It appears Renault have taken our experiences very seriously and resolved our complaint relatively quickly.

One closing comment, I would like to say in reply to the last post about safety glass. We saw that the safety glass has no sharp edges, but with an open mouthed and eyed infant in a rear facing car seat looking up to the glass roof I still feel the fact the glass falls into the car is still a safety issue which needs to be looked at not only be Renault but by all manufacturers using this manufacturing process.

What a great site, it was very useful to have all your feedback to see how common this issue is. Best of luck for your future success.

soterman
Advanced Driver

Postby soterman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:33 pm

Good result!

I can feel what you went through mate, this has probably trashed your belief and confidence in Renaults! I wouldn't blame you, but at least your family is ok.

Good luck with your future ventures!
'05 1.6VVT Megane II[/color]

europa
Just Passed

Postby europa » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:43 pm

Those poor folk must have been cursed, I've never heard of so many issues with glass shattering around them!
'05 2l Manual Pearl Black Megane LXR Dynamique 5-Door

DaveP
Advanced Driver

Postby DaveP » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:36 pm

Mine went pop today ( the panoramic roof on my sport tourer, not the CC). I have to say it was a bit scary. I was driving along the M25 this morning and the roof just seemed to explode for no obvious reason. I didn't see any flying stones, wasn't close to any lorries and hadn't just been under a bridge. I can only assume it went for the same reason as others have - internal stresses or similar. The original glass was actually changed just a few weeks ago to try to stop a persistent wind noise problem so this new section was still quite new. When it went it seems that a fair amount of the glass went upwards and back so I hope the car behind didn't get too badly showered. The bits did some damage to the rear of my car - quite a few scratches/cuts in the paint on the plastic section above the rear window. As I was driving along a busy motorway when it went I wasn't able to stop instantly. I worked my way over to lane one and whilst contemplating stopping on the hard shoulder saw the 1 mile to South Mimms Services sign so I thought it would be safest to continue to the services. There was still a big chunk of glass waiting to fall off (see picture) so I took it very steady. I was covered in bits of glass, some even down the neck of my shirt. Luckily most of the bits were the usual toughened "squares" so not too sharp but there were also quite a few very small shards that were very sharp. Anyway, as I still have 2 weeks of warranty left I was able to make use of Renault Assistance, who I have to say did a good job of sorting things. They arranged the AA to visit and set up a hire car, the AA took my car back to Bristol to my local dealer and me to the car hire branch nearby. Even got a call from RUK customer services to check I was okay and who seemed genuinely concerned about the problem. I'm rather put off the whole idea of glass roofs now - I'm amazed there isn't some kind og film applied to the glass to hold it all together. Here's a few pix taken with my phone.
At the end of the day... ..it gets dark

L77
Pass Plus

Postby L77 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Scary stuff! :shock:

Glad all is well with you but how can you be expected to have any confidence in and sort of panoramic roof after this?

Get the finger our Reno :o :roll: :x

L77

navid.v
Rally Driver

Postby navid.v » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:38 pm

sorry to hear about this,but glad that you are okay yourself.
Current Car:BMW Z4 2.5 SE 04,Renault Clio Dynamique S 1.2 TCE 58 ;Previous Car:Megane II Sports Hatch 55 Reg Ottoman Blue 1.6 VVT

IainMW
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatchback. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres on!)

Postby IainMW » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:30 am

Glad you are OK, but very very scary stuff

I was covered in bits of glass, some even down the neck of my shirt. Luckily most of the bits were the usual toughened "squares" so not too sharp but there were also quite a few very small shards that were very sharp.

I dare not think about the out come if this glass had gone in your eyes? I think some very serious questions have to be asked now about whether this is an issue for VOSA?

Obviously what ever they did to your roof last time has caused this to happen.

Do you think you will feel comfortable driving your car once it's repaired? (Personally I don't think I would?)
Make improvements, not excuses!
Laguna III 2.0dCi 150 Dynamique Hatch. Pearl Black, Panoramic Sunroof, Front & Rear Proximity Sensors, 17" Spider Alloys (with B****y expensive tyres fitted!)

Shirley McBrinn
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet

Re: My Glass Roof Has Just Expoloded - Has Yours?

Postby Shirley McBrinn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:28 am

The glass roof of my megane coupe cabriolet exploded three weeks ago. The car was stationary on the driveway. I got in the car and shut the door, the car roof came down on my head. Renault Customer Services are denying any knowledge of issues of this type and refusing to cover it under warranty. The repair bill is inexcess of £3k. The car is less than a year old. Has anyone else had a similar issue with the Coupe Cabriolet?

Return to “Problems / Questions”