Window motor burnt out!?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

goltho
Currently Drives:: 04 Dynamique DCi 80

Window motor burnt out!?

Postby goltho » Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:38 pm

After trying to start the car on an almost-flat battery which caused all sorts of electrical twitching on the dash/wipers/windows, I disconnected then reconnected the battery and charged it. Started the car, reset the windows due to the disconnect, and moved it across the yard to near the workshop. Tried to shut the driver's window but it was acting as if on half-power (not stuck, just weak). Fiddled with it but then it gave up altogether. I then smelt noxious burning coming from behind the door card so disconnected the battery and got the card off in record time! :eek The metal housing on the motor was way too hot to touch and took a good 20 minutes to cool enough for me to take hold of. It stinks. :dead

I replaced the regulator not that long ago and it's been fine (brand new one-touch module) and although it also smells due to being mounted on the motor, it didn't get hot. The mechanism's fine and I was able to close the window manually. Am I correct in assuming it's likely to be the motor which has died?

**UPDATE**
The motor resistance measures 5.2 ohms.

Thanks.
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Window motor burnt out!?

Postby DougM » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:42 pm

Apply power directly to the motor without the temic module. Two wires stuffed into 4 and 5 if memory serves of the connector should give you power. Just touch the two prongs, oh and watch burning your finger as it heats up fast.

goltho

Postby goltho » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Thanks for that. I removed the module from the motor altogether so there are only the two contacts to connect to. Are you saying that it normally heats up fast to that degree?
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Postby DougM » Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:35 pm

No it's not normal. I meant when you test it mind you don't burn your finger on the temporary connection. The resistance from a poor connection can rapidly get hot. In seconds as well. But its enough to prove the motor is good or dead.

goltho

Postby goltho » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:43 pm

I did the test over the weekend using my fairly beefy charger, and it immediately drew the maximum 20 amps with no movement on the motor. I didn't leave it in that state for long as I didn't need further evidence in the way of heat! So new motor en route (£20 including a regulator) so it's looking good. Thanks for the input. :-)
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

goltho

Postby goltho » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:48 pm

Just by way of update, the new motor & regulator arrived on time via DPD. I got it fitted without any issues and it's A-OK. It was €21.90 (£19.68) delivered from https://rrr.lt/en in Lithuania, arrived in 5 days, had been properly cleaned, and was exceptionally well packaged. The part itself was only €10 which reflects their price levels generally. Thoroughly recommend them. My nearest and cheapest breakers (20 miles) wanted £30.
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

Return to “Problems / Questions”