Key Card Not Detected - See Image

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

stevesmiff
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 dCi 100 Dynamique 5dr

Key Card Not Detected - See Image

Postby stevesmiff » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:47 pm

So my key card opens the car doors with the buttons but when I put it in the reader the card is not detected. YouTube videos show a common issue where a black circular part comes loose inside the key. Mine was the same when I opened it so soldered it up.

I'm sure my fix is good but I've tried key again and still no luck. Maybe I've damaged something else when opening the key up or maybe there was more than one problem.

Here is a close up of this section, any ideas what might need attention?

DougM
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6

Re: Key Card Not Detected - See Image

Postby DougM » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:21 am

Not had this issue yet. Maybe the coil is bad, you can buy new ones for like 4 euros on Ebay. If you have a multi meter you could test the resistance. It might give you an idea. Alternatively buy a second hand card and transfer the chip maybe. Or a new one not yet programmed and do the same. Or simply get someone to fix it for you.

stevesmiff
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 dCi 100 Dynamique 5dr

Re: Key Card Not Detected - See Image

Postby stevesmiff » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:45 am

Don't think it is the coil as it was working when you use a wedge to wiggle it in the card reader and when I opened the key the coil had the common disconnected leg so just assumed it was that.

Looking at the picture and the 4 pairs of horizontal holes on the circuit board above the coil, is it common to look like this (bottom pair connected, 2nd one open, 3rd one connected and top one open)? I've not seen another one close up but a few glimpses on youtube videos suggest the top one is normally connected and my one looks like something is possibly missing. Also, the pair of vertical holes just above the coil (to the right of the bottom pair of horizontal holes) also looks like something missing and is also connected on others I've seen. I assume it is just some keys have different layouts depending on the car and nothing appeared to fall out when I opened my key so guess damage is unlikely.

Return to “Problems / Questions”