Mystery spring and power loss

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Memphistwenty8
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Mk2 2005

Mystery spring and power loss

Postby Memphistwenty8 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 pm

Good evening
I hope everyone is staying save at this unprecedented time

I'm new here so please indulge me if this topic has been covered but I don't think it has.

I have recently started to experience a loss of power for a few seconds whilst driving. This can be any any gear at any speed and seems to correct itself after about 3 seconds. The car slows slightly with the torque of the engine keeping it moving by my guess.

Anyway after some research somebody said it could be the break light switch which will cut power if pressed at the same time as the accelerator (safety feature) and it has become stuck and needs some wd40.

Anyway first things first. I can't find it... I have looked and looked and can't seem to find it. There is a switch/button that is pressed when I pressed the clutch but not the break. Anybody any clue as to its location.?

Secondly whilst looking for said switch I found a little plastic fitting with a spring between the two plastic ends half attached to my clutch pedal. One half attached to the bar off the pedal itself and the other half had fallen in to the foot well. I can figure out where it came from but I have no clue what it's supposed to do or if I I have fitted it correctly.

Any help on either matter would be greatly appreciated.

Anthony

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Re: Mystery spring and power loss

Postby lordmat » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:29 am

i once tested if the car cuts the power to the engine when the brake pedal is pressed and... it doesnt :D so i think you can rule this option out

by the way, the same thing occasionally happens to me too - i have yet to get to it though. my guess is something with the accelerator pedal or the clutch sensor switch

if you use cruise control, does it turn off (from "CC" to "speed memory") on its own sometimes? if yes, were on the same boat :/

Return to “Problems / Questions”