Water collecting behing the dash

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Water collecting behing the dash

Postby MarkSin » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi all,
My car seems to collect water somewhere behind the dash when it rains. When I first start to drive I can hear water sloshing around and if it has rained heavily I can sometimes hear the heater fan hitting the water. After driving around for a while the water seems to disappear.
The other day when it seemed to be quite full I parked the car on a bit of an angle and when I came back there was water on the passenger side floor mat (Left hand drive car).
I presume water is getting in somewhere and maybe a drain is blocked.
Does anyone have any idea on where I should start looking before I try to take the dash apart?
I don't have a garage and I need my car every day of the week for work.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Mark

PhilipC
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Dynamique 1.6L 16v

Re: Water collecting behing the dash

Postby PhilipC » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:05 pm

I had this very same issue, you'll have to take off the wipers and the plastic pieces at either end of the scuttle panel. Once you've removed those, you then remove the main plastic panel and from the sounds of you saying that you hear "sloshing" that would mean both drainage hoses are blocked and water will sit and gather below the windscreen. Then when you take a corner it will push water into the interior from behind the dash and will collect in the foam underneath the carpet.

When unblocking the drainage hoses, use either cable ties or a thick wire to get the mud out and then you should hear water rushing down through the hoses.

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:54 pm

Thanks a lot for that information.
I will have a look at it tomorrow, weather permitting.
I will let you know how it goes :-)

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:15 pm

All good, thanks so much for the tip :-)
I don't think they had ever been cleaned out before. Filled right to the top with mud!
The drain on the driver side (left hand drive) was a pain to access as it's right under the windscreen wiper motor :(
I was pleasantly surprised that the area was not rusted considering how long water has been lying there.

PhilipC
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Dynamique 1.6L 16v

Postby PhilipC » Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:22 pm

Hey there Mark!

I'm glad to hear that it has worked out for you! I would recommend to not park under trees (if you can help it), leaves and other debris is mostly the cause of the drainage hoses blocking.

I would also recommend that every so often you look through the mesh holes on the front passenger's side through the scuttle to see if you can see a reflection of water. Of course, try this when heavy rain has happened and what I've been doing every month or so is getting a jug and filling it with cold/warm water and pouring it down the holes of the scuttle panel directly into the drainage holes to make sure they're not blocked and to reassure myself so I don't have to worry about water ingress anymore!

Phil

Return to “Problems / Questions”