Clock Spring Question

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

GarethCole
Currently Drives:: Megane CC 2008 1.6

Clock Spring Question

Postby GarethCole » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:29 am

Hi all,

I think I have the "clock spring" failure on my 2008 Megane CC 1.6

I get a clicking sound when I turn the steering wheel and my airbag and service spanner lights are illuminated. Additionally I've just noticed that my cruise control / speed limiter is no longer working, when I switch it on I just get three dashes "---" instead of a speed and the steering wheel buttons don't respond.

Looking through this amazing forum it seems that the culprit clock spring is inside the indicator stalk unit, and its a reasonably simple process to replace it, but my question is ... do I need any kind of special version because my car has cc/sl ? I'd really rather only do the job once and buy the right part first time, but when I've asked the sellers on eBay (there are a few on there right now) none of them can confirm that the ones they are selling are suitable for cc/sl. This might be because they are not suitable, or it might be that they are all same so it makes no difference. Any info gratefully received !

I'm in no rush as I still have 5 months left on the MOT but I'd like to get it done because everything else on the car works perfectly and although I've only owned it a little while I've started to bond with it now ;)

Thanks in advance,

Gareth

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Re: Clock Spring Question

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 am

When I fixed mine several years ago, I opted for replacing the entire squib with a genuine new one from Renault.
I decided not to buy a secondhand one, partly because there were lots of different variations based on options fitted to the car. Mine has auto headlights, but not cruise control for example.
However, whilst I was fitting it, I'm sure I remember some 'spare' connectors internally. So it could be that the cables you see on ebay are generic for all versions. The point I'm trying to make is that ultimately it is just a bit of wire, and that as long as you have the right number of cores and they all go to the right places then it will all work fine. So you could open up the one on your car and compare it to the detailed photos on ebay before buying the new one. You certainly wouldn't need to do the replacement job twice, as it should be obvious enough before starting if it will work or not.

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Re: Clock Spring Question

Postby lordmat » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:24 pm

you only need to replace this cable https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Wire-Clock-Spring-Spiral-Cable-AirBag-for-RENAULT-MEGANE-2-MK-ll-WAGON/173650902032?hash=item286e667c10:g:tJkAAOSwykxdebEu
its just as easy (you dont even need to remove the whole indicator unit if youre skilled enough)

Return to “Problems / Questions”