rear camera fitting ?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

alerton

rear camera fitting ?

Postby alerton » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:34 pm

Hi, my new double din head unit that is now fitted and working came supplied with a little rear / reversing camera. I wasn't too bothered about having a camera and have not really looked into fitting it but seems silly to have it sat unused in a drawer. Has anyone any advice on fitting one on the megane 2.

i had a look at pic of a tailgate on ebay and seems there might not be enough spare room to squeeze the extra wires through the existing rubber boot ? so maybe better fitting it on the bumper above the number plate but where would be convenient to run the cable into the car from there? any advice or ideas would be appreciated thanks.

PhilipC
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Dynamique 1.6L 16v

Re: rear camera fitting ?

Postby PhilipC » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi there Alerton!

I recently came past this the other night whilst looking for something else and this could possibly be of use to you. It's a neat bit of kit, its essentially a number plate light with a reversing camera intergraded within it and I think you can cut the wire if it doesn't have the fitting for your existing head unit and solder the two wires together.

Reversing camera number plate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversing-Vehicle-Specific-Integrated-License-Renault/dp/B07QLL9PZ2

I haven't really done this myself but hope it helps!

Phil

alerton

Postby alerton » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:20 pm

PhilipC wrote:Hi there Alerton!

I recently came past this the other night whilst looking for something else and this could possibly be of use to you. It's a neat bit of kit, its essentially a number plate light with a reversing camera intergraded within it and I think you can cut the wire if it doesn't have the fitting for your existing head unit and solder the two wires together.

Reversing camera number plate: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reversing-Vehicle-Specific-Integrated-License-Renault/dp/B07QLL9PZ2

I haven't really done this myself but hope it helps!

Phil

Cheers phil. seen those on ebay too and they do look neat but i already have a camera and whilst it will not look as neat as those it will do for me. my main issue is cable routing to help me decide where (or even IF) i should fit it. i even considered putting it actually inside the car on the parcel shelf but wasn't sure how it would affect the picture if its looking through glass. thanks for the tip though phil

PhilipC
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Dynamique 1.6L 16v

Postby PhilipC » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:34 pm

No worries!

You could get some 3m doubled sided tape and if the camera comes with its own bracket you can perhaps stick it on the plastic trim, under the third brake light when opening the boot. Or if you don't have a bracket, I would reckon to put it on the parcel shelf as you mentioned!

On routing the cable you could go for a similar or the same route which I took for my rear dashcam.

I removed trim going along the driver's side to the back of the vehicle, whilst tucking the wire out of sight and pulled the two rear seats joined together down. The trim next to the seats has a trim clip which is under the seat but the seat part is easy to take off without damaging anything. You just pull up at the front of the seat nearest to the clip in the chassis to avoid damage and then push the seat back towards the rear of the vehicle which should release the spring arm. After that, you can remove that trim a little to tuck the wire under and then into the boot under the wheel arch carpet leading up to the parcel shelf. But in my case, I went up the boot and tucked the wire within the rubber for a neat installation.

renaultnewbe
Currently Drives:: megane mk2 1.9dci

Postby renaultnewbe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:36 am

i just installed a rear cam and rear dash cam both fitted to tailgate dash is screwed to inner upper plastic and reverse to lower plastic depending on connections you can feed cable through the grommet from tailgate to car as for cable to reverse take light out pull grommet through dont matter witch way and connect to relevant cables black is minus so look at the bulb set up like if changing bulbs then trace the thinner line back to get your positive and job done
ps i have 2 reverse cams 1 for reversing the other for tow hitch witch is a reg plate style 1 cam is to stereo the other is rear view mirror

hope this helps if not IL take pics and let you no if requested ok

Return to “Problems / Questions”