ABS/airbag lights on and more

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

goltho
Currently Drives:: 04 Dynamique DCi 80

ABS/airbag lights on and more

Postby goltho » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 pm

Hi there. Just bought an 04 Dynamique DCi 80 today to temporarily replace wifey's Pug 206 CC for the winter (it goes into dry storage). It's done 140k and has sat untouched for 18 months on a chap's drive. It passed its last MoT (18 months ago) with no advisories but then was taken off the road as the chap bought another car which he fancied. It did but 500 miles since the MoT. A new battery has it running well with surprisingly no brake issues either. HOWEVER - there are a few issues which I'm sure will not be major provided there have been no mice at work:- :eek

• ABS light on
* airbag light on
* temperature gauge inoperative (way below the minimum marker and does not move)
• driver's window stop-start on both open and close i.e. hold the switch, window moves 2 inches & stops, repeat etc. This is however intermittent, i.e. the window does work normally for a bit then reverts to above behaviour
• passenger window inoperative (does not draw current when operated)
• both rear windows stop-start as above but do not revert to normal as per driver's window. All three working windows stop-start in sync if two or more of the buttons are pressed simultaneously.

I swing spanners on Pug 206s to keep keep me out of mischief in retirement and am very familiar with their electrics (I have PP2000 software & kit) but until today was a Megane virgin. Hence my heading for the forum which came recommended.

Any input will be much appreciated. I like what little I've seen and felt of the car already. If I like working on the car enough and once I too have become a forum expert :D, I will pay it forward and hopefully contribute in due course. Cheers.
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Re: ABS/airbag lights on and more

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:23 am

Hi,
The first thing is that I strongly suggest you buy yourself a Renault Can Clip Diagnostic
It is designed for professional Renault mechanics and did take me a bit of time to understand it, but it will tell you everything you ever need to know about the hidden internal workings of your Renault car.
For example, when I had an Airbag warning light, CAN Clip told me exactly which wire was broken and causing the problem.
For your temperature gauge problem, it will tell you in degrees the exact temperature that the car's internal sensor thinks the coolant is at.
For your ABS it will tell you exactly which sensor(s) are triggering the warning.

For your inoperative window, certainly on the convertible the switches permanently have power going to them from what I remember and that the switch makes one of two connections to earth to complete the circuit and send the window either up or down.

For you windows that keep stopping, the first thing to try is to close the windows completely. Then release the switch. Then operate the switch in the close direction again, and keep it held like that for about 10 seconds. This somehow seems to reset the windows and I've had them start working again normally after this.

Good luck.

goltho

Postby goltho » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:33 am

Thanks for taking the time with all the useful info and suggestions.

I've done a bit of research on Can Clips and am a little wary of buying a clone which of course it would be. Having said that, I use a cloned interface with Peugeot Planet 2000 and it's fine so for bread & butter stuff, I know it will be a good option. The main point for consideration though is that we won't have the car for long but I guess I can resell the hardware afterwards.

Meantime, I'll dig into the windows and check everything else for anything obvious. Thanks again. :-)
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 am

goltho wrote:I've done a bit of research on Can Clips and am a little wary of buying a clone which of course it would be.

There is a bit of luck of the draw involved in this. I am still on my first Can Clip, but in less time than my one has lasted a friend is now on his third.

goltho wrote:The main point for consideration though is that we won't have the car for long

I bought my Megane as a stop-gap specifically to last just one year. That was over six years ago, and I now have no plans to get rid of it until it develops a terminal fault, ... which (touch wood) it shows absolutely no sign of doing yet. It just keeps going, and going, now on about 168,000 miles and everything still working absolutely fine except the aircon which has a leak that I really can't be bothered to fix as the car is a convertible :-)

goltho

Postby goltho » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:53 am

So - some progress. I reset the working windows as suggested which nicely fixed that issue. Then one of the working rears packed up altogether, so I replaced the regulator on that and the dead front passenger window which happily fixed them.

I have a new ABS sensor to fit as I found the old (nsf) one dangling from underneath the car. I'm sure that has something to do with the light being on... :idea :tut

If the rain stops tomorrow, I'm looking at the bust temperature gauge. It really is bust and not showing a low temp - it doesn't respond at all when the ignition is switched on. Any ideas? AFAIK, even if the coolant sensor's faulty, it should respond and sit at Cold.

The air bag light is also still on. I decided not to invest in a CanClip but will take it to my mechanic buddy for him to check with his diag tools.
2004 1.5 DCi Dynamique

Return to “Problems / Questions”