Megane II Estate rear light problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Megane II Estate rear light problem

Postby MarkSin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:28 am

I think I have a bad earth somewhere on my left hand rear lights.
When I have my brakes (and Brake lights) on the indicator light stops flashing.
I have opened up and taken the bulb holder out. The grey wire which goes to number 3 on the wiring clip the contact has been very hot and is a bit burnt. If I put a test light to the contact then the fuse for the left hand side lights (front and rear) blows out.
Does anyone have any idea which earth I should be trying to look for?

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Re: Megane II Estate rear light problem

Postby scooper1000 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:09 pm

Just put in a new earth on the faulty side or better still both rear clusters...

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Thinking a bit more about it, I'm not convinced it's an earth problem. More like a short somewhere :(
I don't have an electrical tester with me so it's sort of hit and miss. I'll let you know if I find the problem.

MarkSin
Passed Theory

Postby MarkSin » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:14 pm

I promised to post an update when I had fixed my lights.
The problem I had was when the left indicator was on and the brake light came on, the indicator stopped working. I also found out that the same happened if the reversing lights came on.
When I took the electrical connection apart I could see where the connection from the dark grey wire to the number 3 connection had got hot.
Today, I pulled apart the fuse box under the bonnet and sprayed WD 40 into all the connections, we took the left hand headlight out and cleaned the connection around the indicator and also WD 40 in the connections to the headlight assembly. We couldn't see any obvious short circuits anywhere so we just put everything back together. When we tested the rear light assembly everything looked to work properly so we installed the rear light back into the car. When we tested it, we had the same problem. When my helper pushed the connector a certain way, all worked fine.
We had another connector so I cut off the old damaged one and spliced on the new (2nd hand) connector. When I did this I noticed that the dark grey wire was slightly thicker than all the others.
Once this was all put back together and in the car and tested, all was good :-)
Except.........now the left headlight was not working :(
I took the bulb out and found out it was blown. When I did this I saw and remembered that a few years ago my headlight had blown and one of the wires had heated up so much, I had to replace the connector and tape up where the plastic had melted off the wire. This got me thinking that maybe the hot wire in the taillights happened at the same time and was unrelated to my problem today.
Here's to hoping that the damage done years ago had finally vibrated enough to cause some kind of short in the connector and changing it was enough :cool:
Time for a cold beer now :-)

Return to “Problems / Questions”