How to remove VVT solenoid?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

gazberg

How to remove VVT solenoid?

Postby gazberg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Back again!

I have the common rattle on my 2006 1.6 16v megane. TBF it's infrequent and quite quiet compared to some of the ones i've heard on youtube. I've had the car for 5 years and the rattle for about 4.9 on and off.

I cba forking out £500 for the full dephaserjobby to fix it but after reading these forums and seeing a limited number of people had success with cheaper methods what i am going to try this weekend is an oil replacement and engine flush and also i was going to test the actual VVT solenoid.

Popped up the bonnet and removed engine cover. Located Solenoid and removed the single bolt holding it in however i cannot remove the electrical connection from the plastic tab on the solenoid so i thought "sod it, remove the solenoid and then when it's free i can remove the connection". Neither will budge.

Is there more than 1 bolt holding this in? I checked my haynes manual and it said i was doing it right and didn't mention anything about removing anything else?

The top of the solenoid is covered in gunk, from what i can see it looks like it's never come out.

gazberg

Re: How to remove VVT solenoid?

Postby gazberg » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:13 pm

Just managed to find a video on youtube in italian. I was doing it right. You can't see the separation between the housing and solenoid in mine. Guess i need to get some degreaser/degunker. I think it's sealed over.

gazberg

Re: How to remove VVT solenoid?

Postby gazberg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:52 pm

Tried degrease looks clean now and wd40 to help loosen it but still can't get it out. Anyone had this problem before?

Return to “Problems / Questions”