Car low RPM

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jparkinson744
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 dynamique

Car low RPM

Postby Jparkinson744 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Hi guys,

New here so apologies if this has been asked a million times.

I got my 1.6 dynamique megane about 4 months ago, 59 plate 62k on the clock. Had a new dephaser pulley, water pump and cam belt within the last 3 months but lately the car has been dropping quite low on the RPM when idle. It drops down to around 500RPM and feels like its going to stall and then rises again to the normal 750 after a few second. Its worst in reverse where it normally doesnt rise much past 500.

Basically today I was approaching some red lights, stuck the car in neutral and stopped. As I came to a standstill the RPM dropped to 500 for about 6 seconds then the car cut out. I tried restarting the car about 6 times and got nothing, just the sound of it trying to tick over. I even tried accelerating but this seemed to make it cut out. Finally I got it started again then for the rest if the journey there were no problems.

Does anybody know what could be causing the issue. I'm happy to take it to a garage to be fixed, I just like to go with a bit of knowledge and a rough understanding how much I'm going to be out if pocket.

Karpo636
Currently Drives:: Megan 2 2007 estate

Re: Car low RPM

Postby Karpo636 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Not sure if this will help , I have a Megan 2 2007 1.5 dci diesel I bought which was stuck in limp mode and wouldn’t rev above 2000rmp and the orange spanner light was on the dash on the diognostics it came back maf sensor and fuel rail pressure sensor both replaced and codes reset now pulls like a train my advise is buy a code scanner that has the capabilities to reset the codes and a Haynes Manuel ( as not all videos on you tube ) and do it yourself as I didn’t have the time so had to get a garage to do the work and it cost me a fortune I’ll be buying both for future eventualities good luck with it mate

Return to “Problems / Questions”