Rough idle

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rodrosher
Currently Drives:: Megane extreme

Rough idle

Postby Rodrosher » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Since i bought my megane mk11 2.0 16v 2005 it's always had a rough idle
I have fitted new plugs new coil packs and air filter
And she seemed to improve
But then i noticed that the rough idle is intermittent
E.g if i start the and the idle is rough turn it off wait a few seconds and restart and fine for a while then it comes back
I have been told it may the vvt solenoid or the camshaft sensor any thoughts please
Thanks Rod

mforan2016
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 04

Re: Rough idle

Postby mforan2016 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:56 pm

You could try cleaning the throttle body, on my old clio with the same engine it had this problem. Basically the Throttle Flap getting stuck etc, gunked up by fume residue as such. Easy to clean, just need to remove the air inlet pipe and spray carb cleaner or wd40 down there, and wipe it well with an old rag as such.

Other causes for rough idle:
* Dreaded dephaser problem, though car normally starts with a distinct loud rattle and will normally cut out first start, second start usually works.(i have had 3 replaced so far, just to highlight the problem)
* Dephaser solenoid (kinda linked to the above, if solenoid is bad, dephaser is likely damaged now also)
* Exhaust issue (you would normally get emissions light though)
* crankshaft sensor - a royal pain to replace, renault give you next to no cable to work with in the engine bay either. (Replace it with the newer blue connector version if it is needed) I used choc blocks to make life easier, as you have to reach down far for good access.

Cant think of any more of top of my head, start with cleaning that throttle body though. You might even need a replacement as they are electronic they do go bad, though i've never replaced mine.

Rodrosher wrote:Since i bought my megane mk11 2.0 16v 2005 it's always had a rough idle
I have fitted new plugs new coil packs and air filter
And she seemed to improve
But then i noticed that the rough idle is intermittent
E.g if i start the and the idle is rough turn it off wait a few seconds and restart and fine for a while then it comes back
I have been told it may the vvt solenoid or the camshaft sensor any thoughts please
Thanks Rod

Return to “Problems / Questions”