Vibration

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rodrosher
Currently Drives:: Megane extreme

Vibration

Postby Rodrosher » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Hi everyone i hope someone can help with this one

I have just bought a megane convertible mk11 2.0 16v 2005 62000 miles 1 owner from new full service history
Just been serviced with new MOT

Here's the problem car runs great but there's a vibration coming through the whole car while driving first i thought wheels / tyres

But when you have stopped you can still feel it
I popped the bonnet and started her and the engine is shaking very slightly as if it was a diesel
If you put your hands on the body work you can feel the vibration

The engine sounds good and pulls well any thoughts please
Rod

diseasel
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9dCi 120 Privilege (164,000 miles)

Re: Vibration

Postby diseasel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 pm

I recently had the same problem with my Megane 1.9dCi. It turned out to be the offside engine mount causing the vibrations felt through the whole car. When the engine was stopped, you could push on the engine, and it moved more than it should. The rubber of the mounts seems to become soft, and shows no visible signs of deterioration. It's only when you get the mount off the car, and compare it with the new one that you can see the difference.

Another cause of vibration could be the crankshaft pulley. These are of the dual mass type, and the rubber centre of the pulley can deteriorate where it is bonded to the metal, causing the pulley to wobble and cause vibration. I found that when mine was going it usually vibrated at a specific engine speed (around 1100 and 2200 rpm). You can see this by removing the wheel arch liner and looking at the pulley when the engine is running - to determine if there is wobbling. You will also be able to see the belt deflect. If there is a problem with the pulley and you attempt to change it yourself on this engine, the crankshaft sprocket is held in place by the pulley, and not keyed to the cranskhaft - so do some more reading before you attempt this fix, if that is the problem.

diseasel

Postby diseasel » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:46 pm

Just re-read your post - more likely to be the engine mount if the engine sounds good - when the pulley is going, there is often a grinding type noise from the offside of the engine, which you can hear at idle.

Rodrosher

Postby Rodrosher » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Thanks for your reply

So would this be noticeable while driving as well
It feels like you driving on a badly made road e.g
You can feel the vibration through the seat like as if your driving with a semi flat tyre

diseasel

Postby diseasel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 pm

Hi,

When I had a problem with my engine mount, you could feel the vibration through the whole car - felt a bit like a wheel was out of balance. The main place that I felt it was through the steering wheel, and I think you could feel it through the seat as well. It seemed to cause every bit of slightly loose trim to rattle. I managed to track it down to an engine mount problem as it was engine speed dependent, not road speed dependent, and while watching the engine I noticed it moving more under load than I thought it should be. When the engine was off, I could push / pull on the engine and feel movement. Visibly, the mount looked fine. When I took it off and compared it to the new mount, I could see there was a lot more movement in the old mount than the new one. Apparently the top right mount on the MkII Megane is a common failure. There are a lot of cheap mounts on eBay, but to be sure of getting a good quality one, I went for Febi / Bilstein. I think it set me back about £45 in the end. It's not a tricky job to replace, but when doing the job it is a good idea to mark the position of the mount on the car - to be sure of getting it in the correct place.

Rodrosher

Postby Rodrosher » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi mate thanks for the advice on this

It sounds like this is my problem
And yes i can feel vibration through the body work on idle
and at speed
Had a quick look today after work and tried to push and pull the engine but no movement what so ever

Then i noticed a second mount that holds the engine from front to back near the top mount in the figure 8 shape

So plan is tomorrow remove both mounts and replace

You said in your last post mark the position of the mount so it goes back in the same place ?

But the mounts just have holes in the brackets and not sliding bracket holes

Return to “Problems / Questions”