Megane is clutch slipping

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Brettd
Currently Drives:: 1.6 Megane vvt Estate

Megane is clutch slipping

Postby Brettd » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Help needed I've got a mk2 megane vvt Estate & recently its started driving as clutch is slipping once engine reaches temperature it isn't consistent & doing everything I've been told to do to check clutch setting off in 4th, getting to 30 in 3rd & putting foot down etc is showing it isn't clutch. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

Re: Megane is clutch slipping

Postby tamarisk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:21 pm

Had to have my clutch replaced last Sept.
I knew it was on it's way out as hard acceleration when needed just wasn't there and you start getting an obvious smell coming from what I guess is the clutch plates slipping and overheating.
Don't do as I did and leave it too late, then drive on the motorway in a hilly area and have the car revving like crazy and not going anywhere and then have to call the RAC out to tow you to the nearest Mr Clutch.
A new clutch was needed (£500) but the inconvenience of having the work done 50 miles from where I live and having to catch a train home and then back to pick it up which added another £40 in fares to the bill.

Brettd
Currently Drives:: 1.6 Megane vvt Estate

Re: Megane is clutch slipping

Postby Brettd » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 am

tamarisk wrote:Had to have my clutch replaced last Sept.
I knew it was on it's way out as hard acceleration when needed just wasn't there and you start getting an obvious smell coming from what I guess is the clutch plates slipping and overheating.
Don't do as I did and leave it too late, then drive on the motorway in a hilly area and have the car revving like crazy and not going anywhere and then have to call the RAC out to tow you to the nearest Mr Clutch.
A new clutch was needed (£500) but the inconvenience of having the work done 50 miles from where I live and having to catch a train home and then back to pick it up which added another £40 in fares to the bill.
cheers for responding. It's confusing because it's not doing any of standard tests to check just occasionally uphill, downhill or on flat if I put foot down too fast it revs high but speed doesn't go with it then it suddenly just bursts into life. also there's no smell.

Return to “Problems / Questions”