Car won't start, multiple issues.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Damon1996
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane MK2 1.5DCI Estate

Car won't start, multiple issues.

Postby Damon1996 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

Hi guys,
I have a Megane MK2 and i'm having a lot of issues with it right now but ill try to describe as best as I can whats wrong.
So I've had this car for around 3 years now and it's been plain sailing but recently my rear wiper would automatically come on and stop whenever it feels like it, I didn't think much of it and just removed the fuse for it, then i noticed when i locked or unlocked it, my indicators wouldn't flash, so I started it, tried to indicate and the whole dash flickers and i get a "check steering" or "braking fault" come up, sometimes it wouldn't let me cut the engine out when it does that so I have to stall it. Once it cuts out everything is normal until i try to indicate again. I changed the battery out yesterday because the old one has had it and I hoped it would be fine, but now I cant lock the car, if I use my keycard to lock it then the immobiliser light flashes as well as the display on the dash. If I put my card in, press brake and start it says "turn steering wheel and start" then "steering not locked". Sometimes it will make a noise as if its trying to unlock the steering but it isn't locked anyway, I cant get it to start or unlock right now so its just sat on the road. Has anyone else had a massive failure like this before and what could I start checking to get it sorted?
Thanks.
(sorry its so long winded, I tried to describe as best as I could but there's so many issues to list :lool: )

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

Re: Car won't start, multiple issues.

Postby tamarisk » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:49 pm

I'm no expert, but I also own a 1.5 diesel estate and am having starting issues at the moment although my car turns over but doesn't fire up (sometimes).
First thing I would do would be to disconecct the new battery and leave it disconected for an hour or so.

It does sound like an electrical issue and this is worth a go to reset the system.
My digital dash sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes it will display indecipherable gobble de gook.
The joys of megane ownership!

Damon1996
Currently Drives:: 2007 Renault Megane MK2 1.5DCI Estate

Postby Damon1996 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:59 pm

So I decided to check the body control unit, it seems fine but as I put it back together, I moved a wiring loom plugged into the ecu and all the lights flickered, went off and came back on, I'm starting to suspect there's a loose connection, I've not had a chance to look yet as it got dark yesterday, if I find anything I'll keep you posted if anything else changes!

I'm not giving up on it just yet :roll:

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

Postby tamarisk » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:05 pm

I've just posted about this, but in case you miss it.
Try contacting Haynes technical service, via their website.
It's free and I got a response within 24 hours (probably not at the weekend though)and ended up pretty much having a real time conversation about my specific problem this morning.
Highly Recommended.

6ngel
Currently Drives:: Legus GS300
Renault Megane 2 1.6

Postby 6ngel » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:56 pm

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 pm

Nice one 6ngel.