Parasitic Draw

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TheGimp
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 Sport 1.4
Ford Focus MK2 1.8 TDCI

Parasitic Draw

Postby TheGimp » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:53 pm

So I've recently bought a Megane 2 (2003 5 door hatchback, 1.4) and it has a draw on the battery. After a couple of days of sitting in the drive it won't start, for obvious reasons. Now I've checked the draw to be at roughly 110 - 130 mA. I've checked each circuit and I've narrowed it down to a fuse by the glove box. It is the 4th one up from the bottom, a 20a fuse. The circuit on that fuse controls the radio - offset display - heated door mirror control - alarm - instrument panel. I've checked the radio, offset display & then finally checked the instrument cluster. I unplugged it & the reading dropped to 60 mA. Once I plug it back in it jumps back up to 110 - 130 mA.
I know that a normal amp draw is somewhere between 50 - 80 mA. Is the instrument cluster faulty or is it meant to draw that much? I wouldn't think that just the immobilizer red LED blinking on and off would have such a draw.

Has anyone else experience anything like this or similar?

FYI, these readings were taken when all doors closed, interior lights off & car locked.

Any help or insight to this would be greatly appreciated :-)

steve-t
Advanced Driver

Re: Parasitic Draw

Postby steve-t » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:21 pm

Glove box light, Dodgy switch had it on a Clio.
Try pulling the bulb out.
Steve

Return to “Problems / Questions”