Gear box mount ?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jenny1303
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6

Gear box mount ?

Postby Jenny1303 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:11 pm

Hi

I have a 2004 reg megane II this morning I noticed the gear stick having alot of movement when I break and accelerate. The gears are smooth, there's no clunking or banging or strange noises. I have no issues getting in any of the gears and I have no vibration. I wondered if the gear box mount might be very worn or broke ? Or if any one knew what it could be, you can see the gear stick moving on its own which is worrying me. I don't want to take it a garage just yet as I do fix most things myself with my trusty Haynes and I know they will try telling me I need a new gear box which I'm 99% sure is fine ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jenny

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Re: Gear box mount ?

Postby joe12 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:19 pm

The gear stick movement you mention could be caused by worn or broken gearbox / engine mounts, if you know it's not right you should have it looked at.

Cheers.

Jenny1303
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6

Postby Jenny1303 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:55 am

Hi

Yeah it's been parked up yesterday and I'm going to Jack her up and look today I can look at it myself. I just wanted to know if I was right that it's a mount and not the gear box.

I think it's the lower one that's attached to the subframe, I'll start there first. Thanks for your help :)

vanmanpaul83
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 1.6 16v Maxim

Postby vanmanpaul83 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:41 pm

It's not your gearbox given your symptoms. The rear torque mount is most likely your culprit. The bushes are prone to splitting. I've replaced my right side engine mount as there was excessive movement and also the lower mount which had completely failed. Symptoms of failure of these mounts are engine jolting when letting off the gas, gearstick moving forwards and backwards under acceleration / deceleration and at worst engine banging when driving over rough ground or speed bumps. When replaced you'll actually find that you feel slight engine vibration as the new mounts settle in. This is normal as the bushes are solid. Best to replace all 3 however I found no fault with my gearbox mount when replacing the clutch so just changed the 2 that were worn / split.

Return to “Problems / Questions”