Hi ever one new to megane world not long got it but I getting a strang noise when driving and I am letting of gas

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Sam94
Currently Drives:: 1.6vtt 56 plate megane

Hi ever one new to megane world not long got it but I getting a strang noise when driving and I am letting of gas

Postby Sam94 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:25 am

If enemy could help me or point me a direction on what could be make my noise it be helpful and grateful. So I not long brought 56 plate petrol 1.6 vtt megane but got a strange noise when letting of gas it sound like plastic scraping / flat tire so I checked all around car no lose parts I checked tires and in got shape check suspension seems good I done steering check all feels and looks good but i cant work out where and what could be cores of this noise . Eney help be grateful please

diseasel
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9dCi 120 Privilege (164,000 miles)

Re: Hi ever one new to megane world not long got it but I getting a strang noise when driving and I am letting of gas

Postby diseasel » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:23 pm

Does it sound like it is coming from in the engine on the right hand side? It could be the dual mass crankshaft pulley that is starting to go bad. This causes the pulley to wobble so that the aux (alternator and ac) belt is not running true. This could cause it to flap / snatch and scrape against things. You can see the pulley by taking off the drivers side wheel arch liner. Check that the bonding between the metal and rubber on the pulley has not failed - there should be no side to side movement in the pulley. If that looks OK you can run the engine and check to see if the pulley wobbles. If that is the problem and you decide to change it, check the procedure for your engine. I think on the Petrol Meganes the crankshaft sprocket is not keyed to the crankshaft, so if you remove the pulley without following the locking procedure, you could change the cam timing of your engine.

If it does sound like belt noise, another thing to check would be the belt tensioner.

vanmanpaul83
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 1.6 16v Maxim

Re: Hi ever one new to megane world not long got it but I getting a strang noise when driving and I am letting of gas

Postby vanmanpaul83 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:50 am

diseasel wrote:Does it sound like it is coming from in the engine on the right hand side? It could be the dual mass crankshaft pulley that is starting to go bad. This causes the pulley to wobble so that the aux (alternator and ac) belt is not running true. This could cause it to flap / snatch and scrape against things. You can see the pulley by taking off the drivers side wheel arch liner. Check that the bonding between the metal and rubber on the pulley has not failed - there should be no side to side movement in the pulley. If that looks OK you can run the engine and check to see if the pulley wobbles. If that is the problem and you decide to change it, check the procedure for your engine. I think on the Petrol Meganes the crankshaft sprocket is not keyed to the crankshaft, so if you remove the pulley without following the locking procedure, you could change the cam timing of your engine.

If it does sound like belt noise, another thing to check would be the belt tensioner.

As mentioned the crank shaft pulley on the petrol engine has no key way and loosening the pulley bolt will throw the timing out. To undo this bolt the crank shaft needs locking. The location for this is the lower front of the engine you'll find a torx bolt to the right side of the oil filter, this is a blanking bolt and that's where the crank shaft locking pin goes on these engines

Return to “Problems / Questions”