Problems with can-clip hardware

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Problems with can-clip hardware

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:49 pm

No matter how experienced one is as a mechanic, it is impossible to run an old Meg2 without can-clip. It has enabled me to keep this old beast running through every manner of fault code for the last 3 years or more. (mine is an early 1.5 dci not OBD compliant so other systems will not work with it.) That is until the hardware goes wrong! Yes it is chinese but seems to be very well made.
The first one lasted a year and a week before failing when it could not communicate with the car's computer system. And this was the all singing, all dancing expensive "Japanese chipset" version. So much for that! The second one (a cheaper version) lasted 2 years despite little use before failing. The fault this time was the sonde was unable to communicate with the laptop's USB port. All leads were changed and connections checked even resoldering many joints. Despite looking similar, the internals are different so it is not possible to make one good unit out of the two by swapping the two layers. They are packed with components! Luckily I have access to the unit of a good friend who has been using his for over 5 years. Just wondered is anybody else having similar problems with the hardware or am I just unlucky?
The problems started 3 or 4 years ago in the winter. Car was almost impossible to start and when it did so, it filled the road with smoke - it was astonishing! The car ran roughly and was a pig to drive. What could this be? Glowplugs, glowplug relay, leaking injector? I did the usual of changing components but nothing made any difference. I discovered that if you have say fault code DFS027 (or 26, etc) this is how the engine will behave until you delete that fault code!
Old smokey started up again a couple of weeks ago on a frosty morning - injector 2 control at minimum. Serviced the injector and the car ran well but not until I deleted that code!

Return to “Problems / Questions”