Non starter, 2 fault codes, any ideas?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

Non starter, 2 fault codes, any ideas?

Postby tamarisk » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Hello all,

It's been nearly 7 years since I last posted, Tbh those 7 years have been almost trouble free just wear and tear issues and of course the idiosyncrasies that only being a Megane owner can throw up.
I live in central London and in the next 2 years will be subject to the ultra low emissions zone charge so am hoping to make the Megane last that long before getting rid.
I've been having trouble starting the car since the temp has dropped.
Wondered whether it was the battery not holding a charge, so tried a booster and a voltage reader that plugs in the cigarette lighter socket.
I have drained the battery now twice trying to start over the last few weeks, luckily I don't need to use the car everyday and have the use of another car if there is a problem.
When I've charged the battery, the car starts first time but if left to sit for a couple of days there's no joy. The voltage reader tells me that the battery is holding a charge but I read somewhere about a battery's cold cranking ability,( excuse my ignorance I'm really not mechanically minded) and wondered if that was the problem.
I decided to buy a diagnostic code reader and plugged it in today,
2 fault codes are showing

P0089 (fuel pressure regulator a performance)
P0670 (Glow plug control Module 1, control circuit open)

Back in the summer I had a injection fault flash up when I was accelerating hard on the motorway and again a few weeks later when driving around town. One of the quirks of my car is that the digital dash has always been very temperamental and has now stopped working completely so I don't know if the warning has happened again. At the time I was aware that my clutch was on it's way out so thought the warning was probably related to that, I had the clutch replaced in September which is why I'm keen to get as much life out of the car as possible.

Just to let you know that I have checked the glowplugs with a voltmeter and everything appears to be ok.

Just wondered if anybody could throw some light on the faults and suggest anything I might be able to do before taking it to a mechanic.

Would the fuel pressure be the fuel pump? I've read the forums about fuel pumps breaking up and blocking the fuel filter, not sure about the glow plug fault though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by tamarisk on Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Re: Non start, 2 fault codes, any ideas?

Postby joe12 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:49 am

Before you suspect the worst ..... Get the battery checked.

You need to test for a battery drain, look it up on Google under "Battery drain test"

These cars don't like low voltages, so if when you are cranking the engine the voltage drops off it will throw up faults.

You are correct, a battery that looks good on a volt meter may not be ok under load, when it comes to starting a diesel engine with the load of the glow plugs and the starter it will soon show it's weakness.

Cheers.

tamarisk
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: meegane tourer diesel

Re: Non start, 2 fault codes, any ideas?

Postby tamarisk » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:19 pm

joe12 wrote:Before you suspect the worst ..... Get the battery checked.

You need to test for a battery drain, look it up on Google under "Battery drain test"

These cars don't like low voltages, so if when you are cranking the engine the voltage drops off it will throw up faults.

You are correct, a battery that looks good on a volt meter may not be ok under load, when it comes to starting a diesel engine with the load of the glow plugs and the starter it will soon show it's weakness.

Cheers.

Thanks Joe,

Will gen up on checking for a drain test.

Return to “Problems / Questions”