First start grinding noise - drives fine when started

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

fedup

First start grinding noise - drives fine when started

Postby fedup » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:25 am

Hi there,
I've got a Renault Scenic Grand 2 1.6 petrol 2007,
Some mornings on first start there is a grinding noise, after multiple starts it eventually starts and drives fine,
I've replaced the crankshaft sensor and the camshaft sensor but the noise still happens intermittently.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Re: First start grinding noise - drives fine when started

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:40 am

Grinding noise whilst the starter motor is spinning sounds like the starter motor is not engaging properly with the ring gear on the flywheel.
Remove the starter motor and temporarily connect it to the battery using jump leads to make sure the solenoid operates properly. If it doesn't, then replace the starter motor. If is does, then look at the teeth on the flywheel, and if they are badly worn then you will need a new flywheel (but they have to be pretty bad to need this).

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:49 am

My 1.6VVT makes a bit of a row on first start. Always starts on third attempt or earlier.
I assumed it was the the dephaser and decided to live with it.. (£££!)

fedup

Postby fedup » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 am

Thankyou, I will check the starter motor, don't suppose you know if the 2007 model suffered from the dreaded dephaser pulley issue?

On first start its like a very loud rapid clicking, then maybe on the next attempt it sounds different like it tries to start but the revs drop, after a few more attempts it starts and drives fine.

Very annoying

Return to “Problems / Questions”