Making a spare key card Tutorial

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Zailyn
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane Estate 1.5Dci

Making a spare key card Tutorial

Postby Zailyn » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:11 am

As I've gotten a couple of requests I'm going to try and explain the step by step process on how I programmed a spare keycard for my 07 Megane.

Disclaimer : I am not responsible if anything happens during this process that causes any damage to your car/PC.

Ok so what you'll need :

Blank Key Card such as : https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Renault-ME ... :rk:7:pf:0

OBD2 to USB kit such as : https://www.ebay.com/itm/FNR-Key-Progra ... :rk:2:pf:0

A computer that is running Windows XP and has an internet connection. It's very important that it's running Windows XP and not using a Virtual Machine as from 4 PC's only one had the software work while in a Virtual Machine. The software detects that it is running in a VM and won't run.

Once you have all of these you'll need to do the following :

First of all you will need to temporarily disable your Antivirus and Firewall as they'll keep deleting the files that we'll need to use.
Next, you should have received a CD with your OBD2 to USB kit. Insert this in your PC and install the following :

FordUpdate 1.1.1
TrueCodeSetup

Go to the folder 'Ford Crack' and copy the contents from this folder
Then go to, C:>Program Files>TrueCode and paste the files you copied
When prompted if you want to replace these files, choose yes

Go to the folder 'Renault Nissan' and copy the contents from this folder
Go to, C:>Program Files>TrueCode and paste the files you copied

Go to the folder 'Ford Code' and copy the contents from this folder
Go to, C:>Program Files>TrueCode and paste the files you copied

Go to the folder 'System32 and copy the contents from this folder
Go the C:>Windows>System32 and paste the files you copied

Connect the OBD2 connector to your PC and make sure the software installs itself, Windows should inform you that the device driver is installing.

Go to Device Manager and you should find either a device that failed to install it's driver or a device under USB that has a name similar to OBD2

Right click this device and choose to manually install a driver, point the installation to the folder 'USB Driver' and continue with the installation.

After the installation is completed go the the section Ports in Device Manager. You should find USB Serial Port (COM4) or something similar.

Right click and choose Properties>Port Settings>Advanced and choose COM port number 12.

Connect the USB Dongle you received with your kit to your PC.

Connect the OBD2 connector to the car and run the True Code software and it should open and give you instructions on how to continue and program your new key card.

After the program finishes, make sure you turn off the car and turn it back on. Don't be shocked if you see blank screen in your car during this process like I did :lol:

Now, I did this around 2 months ago so my memory is a bit foggy, but I think it should lead you to getting the idea on how to do it.

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Re: Making a spare key card Tutorial

Postby lordmat » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Thank You very much for this tutorial!

One thing though: It doesn't seem that the "OBD2 to USB kit" you linked is an ordinary obd to usb device - it seems like it is made for programming key cards and hence it is expensive. Is it possible to use something like this? LINK
Last edited by lordmat on Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zailyn

Postby Zailyn » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm not sure. Though it's important to note that the kit included the software and USB Dongle that you'll need. In my opinion it's worth the price as you can make up to 4 keys per car. So after your initial investment, each key will only cost you around €20.

mforan2016
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 04

Postby mforan2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:21 am

Zailyn wrote:I'm not sure. Though it's important to note that the kit included the software and USB Dongle that you'll need. In my opinion it's worth the price as you can make up to 4 keys per car. So after your initial investment, each key will only cost you around €20.

Can you not make an ISO image of the cd and upload it somewhere for us here?
you never know a regular odb->usb connector might work and really they are just cashing in on that software, lol.

Zailyn

Postby Zailyn » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:57 am

I think I can send an ISO of the CD though the USB dongle that comes with the device is used as the 'key' for the program. Without it the software won't launch :/

mforan2016
Currently Drives:: Megane MK2 04

Postby mforan2016 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:18 am

Zailyn wrote:I think I can send an ISO of the CD though the USB dongle that comes with the device is used as the 'key' for the program. Without it the software won't launch :/

Oh i see, now that kinda makes sense. :) Though i would recommend making an iso, just in case u lose the cd or whatever haha

lordmat
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II 2007 hatchback facelift - 1.5 dCi 78kW K9K 732

Postby lordmat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:51 am

I second that. Would you be kind enough to upload it here, so that everyone can use it? Thanks!

Return to “Problems / Questions”