**Injector Fault**

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

StevePro
Currently Drives:: Scenic MK2 1.5dci 55 plate

**Injector Fault**

Postby StevePro » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi guys :-)

I'm a bit of a novice and would really appreciate some advice?

I recently bought a MK2 scenic 1.5dci (55 plate) and all was going well until recently when all a sudden when I got 3k revs in 5th I got "INJECTOR FAULT" flash up for a brief second and the car goes almost into a limp, though it does still slowly still accelerate. Over a couple weeks this continued and then started happening in 4th gear too?

Now when I push the engine start button it doesn't always start and the fault note comes up. But then a few more trys and it starts?

I'm thinking of changing the injectors as number 2 & 3 seem to be pumping out a lot, number 3 especially has a fast constant flow.

Any help and advice welcomed before I run out and spend a lot on bits I probably don't need :lol:

I've read lots about the glow plugs as a possible problem???

bond68
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5cdi- mazda mx5-Bond Equipe

Re: **Injector Fault**

Postby bond68 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi,
I had the same thing .Change the diesel hp pump ,have the fuel rail cleaned out and get injectors checked ,cleaned and or replaced as required.
Minute swarf from a worn pump will kill the injectors and they are expensive to replace

Ray :sad

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:52 pm

Thanks for your response. The HP pump sounds like a difficult job to do myself as a novice do will take it to a garage to look at.

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:48 pm

**update**

Car will now not start or even turn over. No "injector fault" message but just the dash goes black and then it all just goes back to the start point and it all happens again.......

Any help greatly appreciated and welcomed :-)

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Postby joe12 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:11 pm

Is the battery in a good state of charge?

Cheers.

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:33 am

joe12 wrote:Is the battery in a good state of charge?

Cheers.

Hi Joe, I believe not. Since the car now won't even unlock.... So tomorrow I'll get in with the emergency key. I tried jumping it twice but it didn't work so I'm thinking total new battery?

Oddly before I totally died I put the card in and pressed start and the front wipers moved a quarter of the way at a snails pace lol any idea what that's about :lol:

Thanks for any help or information you can provide.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:52 am

Hi,
Yes I would start by trying a different battery on the car.
If a cell in the battery on the car has failed jump starting won't work as the defective battery will pull down the donor battery.

I've personally had a battery go from working one day to totally dead the next day with no warning to note so it does happen, in my case it was one cell that had failed and the battery voltage was 10 volts.

Because these cars have a push button start you are relying on a relay to make the starting contact, the relay won't function once the voltage dips below a certain amount so you will get nothing happening when you press the start button.
Modern cars rely on electronics and electronics are sensitive to voltage, they can behave strangely or not function at all if the voltage is below a set limit.

Let us know how you get on,

Cheers.

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Thanks buddy, I'm going to pop out and grab a battery tomorrow and fit it in. I'll let you know the outcome.

Really appreciate the advice and help.

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Ok so before a battery pay out, I thought I'd buy a multi meter as it's good to have one anyway.

My battery is reading 6.8v on what I believe is meant to be a 12v battery? Do I assume it's one of the cells is dead and the battery needs replacing.

I did test the glow plugs are they all kick out the same 6.8v feedback so I'll assume they are fine.

Once I can power the car up again I can move onto diagnosis of the starting problems and injector fault.

Any more advice is always welcome.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:23 pm

That battery is well knackered mate.

Yes it's a 12 volt battery, 2 volts per cell, so you have 2 completely knackered cells and another well on its way.

You may find that with a new battery all of your other faults disappear.

Cheers.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:40 pm

Any progress ?

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:10 pm

joe12 wrote:Any progress ?

Hi buddy, yeah sorry been wrapped up in other boring stuff :lol:

Battery worked a treat in the aspect the cars electronics are all fine and when the engine is on and the car running it just feels better?

However I'm still getting the injector fault flash up when driving and trouble starting the car. I ran the engine and one by one took the return pipe of each injector. Working right to left, the first has a very slow and steady output of fuel compared to the others which has a constant stream almost, so I'm assuming these 3 are the problem? Last time I took the return pipes off and done this check on the second one had a constant stream? Now 3 of them.

Is there any chance you feel it could be as simple as the starter motor? I can't find anywhere online that it says the starter motor can trigger the "injector fault" warning though.

I'm so annoyed I bought this car :lol: But these orobkrbs aside it's do comfy to drive as a big tall guy. So I'd like to try get it sorted and not just move on :pc

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:05 pm

That's good news with the battery, low voltage can cause funny things to happen.

When you say "Trouble starting the car" ...is the starter motor turning the engine over at a normal rate or does it seem sluggish?

What sort of mileage does the car have?

It probably would be wise to do a proper injector leak off test with 4 bottles so you know the amounts that are being passed. I'm not sure of the exact procedure or what the specifications are for the amount of leak back but I'm sure if you look on the internet you will find some reference.

From what I can see "Injector Fault" can be for a number of reasons, have a look on Google for " megane 2 injection fault message"

Best check all of the easy / none expensive options first.

Keep us posted.

Cheers.

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:43 pm

From what I can see and have read my injectors (at least two) are kicking out way too much fuel. I will however still go buy some tubing and run a leak off test I think.

Start motor seems ok, but I'll give it a good listen to see if it sounds snappy enough.

I'll keep ya posted. Again, thanks a ton for your help I do really appreciate it.

Steve

StevePro

Postby StevePro » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:40 pm

So I noticed last night when trying to start the car, that when I push the start button and the car is trying to fire up the brake lights go out (as my foot is on the pedal) and so does the digital display for the radio.

Also when it does start it revs and then dies, this happens unless I catch it and revert the hell out of it quickly :lol:

Any ideas! :lol:

Return to “Problems / Questions”