**Injector Fault**

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Re: **Injector Fault**

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:40 pm

Steve, I would like to know exactly what the fault code was foryour injector3? Most injector fault codes are to do with "control" - ie short circuit, open circuit. control at maximum, control at minimum. The CLIP code for injector 3 is DF028. As I said before, CLIP does not give P codes.
What does all this mean? A DTC is given but it could have 4 or more possible causes and it is up to the technician to decide. "Control" is the electrical bit of the injector, a small coil inside. (I gave up years ago trying to post photos on this forum!) Control extends out through the plug to the wires that lead to the DCU (injection computer), the centre (brown) plug (Delphi system). The fact that you have had a new injector fitted (was it new or secondhand?) and coded eliminates two of the possible causes of the fault. If the problem lies with the plug, the wires or even the DCU itself the fault code will remain. It is fairly simple to trace the connection back to the DCU using a multi meter and a needle (to access the small orifices on the DCU plug). Bad contacts here are not unknown. Sealing is via a coloured gasket that runs around the plug. This can become displaced allowing water ingress.
As part of the diagnosis CLIP allows us to run tests by swapping plugs from one injector to the other, executing a certain command and listening for the clicks.
Yes it is very hard to run an old Renault without CLIP!

I have never known the IMV (Inlet Metering Valve) at the back of the pump to fail. It is worth noting that the Ford Mondeo TDCI 2002 onwards has exactly the same unit which can be purchased quite cheaply at your local scrappy - i have amassed several over the years but never needed them except for swap-outs. The Mondeo fuel pressure sensor is also identical and can be interchanged. Much cheaper than buying new. Injectors though, are similar but are longer and cannot be swapped although the internals can with the exception of the nozzles and needles.

Concern about bubbles in the fuel lines is a bit of a red herring. My own car has enough bubbles to float the R101! If I bleed them out at the leak-off pipe they simply return. There is an air gap inside the fuel pump at the very top and it is impossible to get rid of this. Our Meg 3 1.5 DCI also has air bubbles!
BTW are your injectors Delphi? The later Siemens system is much better with fewer bubbles (the leak-off line has a one-way valve and a shut-off solenoid - shame about the lack of photos!) but is not without its problems. Good luck mate!
Mike

StevePro
Currently Drives:: Scenic MK2 1.5dci 55 plate

Postby StevePro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:28 am

Thanks for all the info Mike.

They are indeed Delphi injectors and I've now sussed it must be them that needs replacing. I say I had injector 3 changed ect but upon further inspection I ordered the wrong bloody part number :lol: they all look the same!!!

I took it upon myself to take the others out and check them and clean ect. Number 2 seems fine, pretty clean and just needed a rub down.

Number 1 was covered in "black death" carbon and a nightmare but it's clear on inspection it's buggered :lol:

Number 4 came out easy but the injector and it's chamber both are covered in a thick black sludge so I assume it had a blockage of some kind.

Cleaned the chambers and then thought "why not" and boiled the removed injectors on the stove for 20 minutes. The amount of crap that came out was insane. Left for 48 hours to dry out and refitted. Starts 2-3rd time now but idles rough and white smoke and diesel smell, which I read up on is injector issues.

I have 3 new on the way, I'll fit and fingers crossed be sorted :lol:

(I'm not sure the mechanic who came out was too familiar with the car model so I'll do the work and just ask someone to come code them in)

StevePro
Currently Drives:: Scenic MK2 1.5dci 55 plate

Postby StevePro » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:19 pm

**UPDATE**

Changed the injectors and as if by magic, starts first time every time and runs real smooth and responsive.

Thanks so much guys for your help and advice. You were a great help and support.

So to sum up, I changed - pressure sensor regulator, fuel filter, fuel lines connection from filter to HP pump and return and 3 X injectors (including washers on all 4).

Hopefully this can help future drivers.

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Postby joe12 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Great to hear that you have solved the problem. :-)

Well done for persevering with it.

Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”