1st/2nd Gear - unable to select without force

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

rmblakes
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.4 2004

1st/2nd Gear - unable to select without force

Postby rmblakes » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:16 pm

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me suss this one out as I've not been able to find a more definitive answer...

Megane II 2004, 1.4.

Sometimes, not all the time, I have trouble selecting 1st & 2nd gear, its like Im hitting the stick against a wall.. it wont go in regardless of how hard I press.

It's usually (from what I've found) happening when come to a complete stop, and try to go from neutral - however 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse all work.

I need to force the gear stick, hold it in and then slowly raise the clutch and... *CLUNK* you will feel the gear 'snap into place'. Then 2nd can be selected with ease.

Not too sure if its a linkage problem, syncro-mesh? or general gearbox issue?

Thanks Ralph

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: 1st/2nd Gear - unable to select without force

Postby Stranger » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Just a guess here but, have you checked engine mounts? Not sure where they are but I seem to remember there's one not too far from the gearbox and with you saying it's an intermittent problem I wonder if it could be due to the angle of the road that you pull up on.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

rmblakes
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.4 2004

Postby rmblakes » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks so much for your reply - no I've not checked them yet. Actually I did a quick youtube search, seems this may be a common problem (engine mounts going).

I did a ebay search and found some for £12... not bad. Is it an easy job? looks like get it on the ramps, and 16mm socket, 3 bolts and its out.

Also now you mention it, the car does also have the following symptoms (mount related?)

* Feeling vibrations through the brake/clutch pedal at the lights
* When accelerating (from any speed) and holding the gear stick, you can 'feel the acceleration' in the gear stick.

Praying for a mount problem, would love if someone had any part numbers I could review?

Thanks again for all your help!

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:13 pm

I've never done them so can't say whether easy or not however if you just do a search for 'engine mounts' there's plenty of posts.

Vibration through pedals and movement of gearstick sound typical symptoms though :-)

Good luck with it all :tu
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Return to “Problems / Questions”