Rear wheel bearing noise Mk II CC

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Malroy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane II CC

Rear wheel bearing noise Mk II CC

Postby Malroy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 am

Hi, Replaced my rear discs / brngs 3yrs ago and sounds like I have brng noise again. Jacked back end up but all seems ok, can't feel any play, wheels spin fine with no noise plus checked wheels after long drive and no excessive heat detectable. The droning I hear from the back to me sounds like a bearing issue so thought I'd ask for opinion before I buy new discs and bearings. I used Comline items 3 yrs and circa 12,000 miles ago and expected the fix to last much longer. Thanks

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Re: Rear wheel bearing noise Mk II CC

Postby joe12 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 pm

Hi,
from your description it sounds like a wheel bearing noise, you don't really get play on the type of bearing fitted unless it very worn.
I would have expected a longer life out of the bearing however parts are being produced to a budget with chinese bearings being used to keep costs down.

I had the same thing happen on a Renault Laguna, the disc was still in good condition so I sourced a cheap bearing and replaced it, maybe you could do the same if your disc is still in good condition.

Cheers.

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Postby scooper1000 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Have you checked front bearings. Noise travels in funny ways. What sounds like rear bearings could easily be front. Check before parting with cash

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:26 am

jo12: Thanks very much for the advice which sounds like it comes from experience.
scooper1000: Thanks and agree nothing to loose by checking.
I'll check the fronts but am pretty sure the drone is just as what forced me to replace them last time. I've read elsewhere on the forum of another who suffered short bearing life after, shall I say, not buying the best. However, I might just have been unlucky and perhaps others have had good experience with Comline items.

Thanks again guys

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:33 pm

I think you've probably been unlucky with your bearing, I've seen expensive bearings fail in just as short a time so personally I would still take a gamble on the less expensive replacements.

The way discs & pads are made these days the discs are normally knackered at the 3 year mark, "They don't make em like they used to" :-)

You can get a set of discs for under £40, that's the route I would take.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-REAR-COML ... 0508.m3226

(I have no association with the seller)

Cheers.

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Postby scooper1000 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:12 am

I have recently replaced my rear discs and pads these came with the bearings installed around £60 if i remember right...relatively easy job to do and no need of pressing the bearings in yourself....even if they last 3 years £20 a year ain,t bad....good luck with it

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:00 am

Guys,
I've replaced the rear discs and all is quiet again. I inspected the old items once removed and can't see, feel or hear anything to suggest they are worn but droning has disappeared so they must be. I went the cheaper route again as I found a pair of 'Unipart' branded disc assemblies from an ebay seller near where I live and collected in person at cost of £32.00 all in. If they only last three years again they are still a bargain I couldn't turn down. My calliper slide pins were worn so replaced those too at £6.00 per side with grease and rubbers from local motor factors.

Biggest challenge I found was sourcing / identifying replacement calliper carrier bracket torx bolts (I won't pay Renault dealer prices) as one of mine was a little chewed. I know they are Febi-Bilstein but on the web I found it difficult to be sure I would be ordering the correct ones. Picked two up from a breakers in the end for £5.00 which I thought a little expensive but needs must.

For info the ebay seller is 'oddments-2008' (sorry I don't know how to insert a link) who deal in automotive surplus parts. The only downside, if you can call it that, is the 'as new' boxed items come without any manufacturer warrant, just one month from the seller.

Interestingly the 'Unipart' bearings were the exact same 'GOYOU' items as the old 'Comline' discs came with, so I guess yes I was unlucky and can't criticise 'Comline'.

Thanks again

Malroy
Passed Theory

Postby Malroy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:11 am

Forgot to mention you were exactly right when you said discs would be shot after 3yrs. Corroded to hell.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:11 pm

Good to hear that you have sorted it and for cheap. ;)

Damage to a bearing race is often very hard to spot, a tiny mark on the race will cause a lot of noise when the bearing is running.

Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”