Rear wiper not working on '06 Hatchback.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gotameganetoo
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5dCi 86 3-dr Dynamique.

Rear wiper not working on '06 Hatchback.

Postby Gotameganetoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:41 am

The rear wiper doesn't work at all. It worked fine before the long dry spell. I've checked the fuse. I've checked to see if power is arriving at the motor - it isn't. I've looked on here and can't find anything really helpful. It seems that the power comes from the passenger multiplex module behind the glovebox. Is it easy to check that power is coming from there to the wiring to the back of the car? How do you identify the right pin? Is a 2006 hatchback likely to suffer from a broken wire in the rubber tube near the tailgate hinge as I know tourers do. The car has done 112,000 miles and is 12 years old. Where do I access the wiring loom to check for power/continuity at the back of the car before it goes to the tailgate? It's a 3-door and I wonder whether the loom goes along the side of the roof and down the front pillar or at floor level, and whether there is a plug/socket connection to the tailgate harness.
It seems to me that the only thing that might have affected it in the last 2 months would be repeated opening and closing of the tailgate, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

joe12
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane estate 1.5dci 86

Re: Rear wiper not working on '06 Hatchback.

Postby joe12 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I would be suspecting a broken wire in rubber tube near the tailgate hinge, that's where I would be looking first.

Breaks in the wires aren't always obvious, they sometimes don't snap in half but the copper wires inside break leaving the insulation intact so the wire looks ok.

See if you can access the wires before they go into the rubber tube then do a continuity test on the wires that go to the wiper motor.

Cheers.

Gotameganetoo

Postby Gotameganetoo » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:41 pm

I'm hoping it is just a broken wire as that would be a low-tech fix. I'm just waiting for someone to tell me whether that is likely on the h/b and where to access for testing. Thanks.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:12 pm

If you pull the rubber seal off around the hatch opening you will be able to tease the headlining down a little to see if you can access the wires there, I'm no sure of the route they take.

Cheers.

Gotameganetoo

Re: Rear wiper not working on '06 Hatchback. SOLVED!

Postby Gotameganetoo » Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:01 pm

SOLVED. I went out and tried making the wiper work by connecting a battery directly to it. I could hear the motor trying to go but the arm wasn't moving. I tried moving the arm manually and it wasn't moving a millimetre. I used a bit more force and got it moving slightly. I then saw just a little movement of the arm when powered up. I'm not sure what power was in the old battery. Out of time, I gave up, plugged the cable back in, put the trim panel back on and a few minutes later we went out in the car. The wiper worked when I started up! It works fine. It would appear that 2 months disuse had allowed the spindle to seize up. Not an electrical problem at all.

joe12
Just Passed

Postby joe12 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Good to hear that you found the problem.

I would try to get some oil down the wiper arm spindle if possible to keep it lubricated.

Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”