1.5dci post-water pump change airlock in system

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Gotameganetoo
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5dCi 86 3-dr Dynamique.

1.5dci post-water pump change airlock in system

Postby Gotameganetoo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Changed the timing belt and water pump. Now I seem to have air in the system. Gauge doesn't move, coolant in header tank stays high even though I know it lost 2 or 3 pints. I've tried squeezing the top and bottom hoses running and not running. Tried disconnecting the engine end of the top hose - coolant came out. Tried disconnecting the top hose into the header bottle. Ran that into a can and pressurised the header tank. Water came out of the hose - not much air. There must be a proper way of doing this! I wonder if the pump has coolant in it at all. HELP!

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: 1.5dci post-water pump change airlock in system

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Hi,
there may be bleed screws you haven't found.
Take a look on you tube at a Scenic under 'renault coolant airlock', see if yours is similar.
Bob.

Gotameganetoo
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.5dCi 86 3-dr Dynamique.

Postby Gotameganetoo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:56 am

Thanks for that. I've found the bleed screw on the thermostat housing. I understand that there is one in the bulkhead area, on the heater hose. Presumably I'd have to remove the wipers and bulkhead tray to access that. I have got a lot more coolant in the system now and much less air! When removing the cap from the 'bleed screw', which is just a little pipe with a cap like a tyre valve cap on it, take care not to drop the cap. I dropped it but managed to recover it from the top of the gearbox eventually. It looks much like a tyre valve cap - would a tyre valve cap fit?

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:40 am

Hi,
don't know if a tyre cap would fit but glad you found the screws.
The heater may bleed itself eventually on a run but see if it blows out hot and keep an eye on engine temp and coolant level for a while.
I do find it pays to look on you tube for tips when doing even simple jobs.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”