Megane II timing belt size

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Megane II timing belt size

Postby MarkSin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

I am in the middle of changing my timing belt and I can't get the new belt to fit. It has the same number of teeth as the old belt but seems to be a bit shorter. I don't have a proper belt measuring tool so I can't be exactly sure.
When the new belt is across the can sprockets, the belt doesn't seem to fit tight. If I try to pull it tight it seems like it's about a half a tooth out.
The new belt I have came in a kit (which was supposed to fit my car) has the number 94997 on it.
The searches I have done online seem to say that this is the correct belt, but I am having lots of trouble trying to fit it.
Does anyone have any tips on how to fit a timing belt easier?

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Re: Megane II timing belt size

Postby scooper1000 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi stupid question really but have you loosened the Camshaft Tensioner Pulley all the way. Might be worth checking that if you say you have correct belt..sorry cannot be more helpful

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi,
the old belt will have been stretched a little and sometimes I have had this problem.
Across the cams has to be tight and also down to the crank. It will only edge on to the sprockets.
The main tip is, ONCE IT'S ON YOU MUST TURN THE ENGINE OVER TWICE WITH A SPANNER BY HAND USING THE CRANK BOLT
Then check your timing again and tension. THEN CHECK WITH SPANNER AGAIN.
Only when you are satisfied that it turns normal by hand should you attempt to start the engine.
Good luck
Bob.

MarkSin
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane II Estate

Postby MarkSin » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Thanks guys,
I contacted some mechanics here in Norway and they told me that it would be really tight, they were right!
It took me hours to figure out how to get it on and I finally got it on by removing the bottom sprocket and putting the belt on it and then levering the sprocket back on.
I can't understand why they would design a timing belt/system that is so difficult to fit.
F%#¤ing French!
Viva la France :roll:

Return to “Problems / Questions”