Rear electric window issue.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

thermiclance
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport Megane 2.0 175dci 4 door Hatch

Rear electric window issue.

Postby thermiclance » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:31 am

Ok so this is my second Megane a 2007 R-Sport dci 5 door
I’ve had a few normal window regulator issues in the past and all done by myself. Replaced the termics etc.
However I’m really stumped on this one.

So the rear O/S window stopped working a few weeks ago, I’ve had no issues with this window before so fair wee and rear age related blah.....
Replace the regulator module. eBay - £20
Few days later new regulator turns up and a few days later I “try and fit”!
So stripped down door panels etc exposed the offending motor.
Removed multi plug then set about removing the regulator. Bloody little screw with a torn head...!!!
Anyway.... got the regulator out the way and too one side.
Installed the new regulator from eBay and thought I’d just check the motor, I hard wired it to a motorcycle battery 12v and the window went down the. I bought it back up no issues.
When wiring in the eBay regulator I followed the instructions to a “T”.
Pushed start button - ignition on all front windows - working.
The rear N/S window - working.
The rear O/S window - still not working!!!!!!
Hang on new regulator Hmmmm...!!!
So gave the company a call for trouble shooting help, was told to disconnect two of the wires and hold down to ground(earth) one of these wires then operate the window switch - nothing happened- try the other wire - guess what nothing happened.
Hmmmm...!!!
He asked me to check the multi plug connecting to the original regulator and I have 12v down to ground on one of the 40A cables I then had 10.1v on another - 10.1v was on one O.T. he the three smaller wires on an end, there was 0v on the other two small diameter cables? I had 12v across both 40Acable and with continuity down to ground from one of the two 40A cables.

I swapped the switches over in the doors to see what happens and the switch from the working window did not move the non working window and the switch from the non working window worked in the working window - thus means that it’s not the switch or the motor as this as mentioned above.

So this is where it starts getting silly.
I checked the window motor out again by hard wiring straight into the battery terminals motor works!
Hard wire into the multi plug for the regulator + & - (this is the two large 40A cables where I have a 12.4v supply and a ground! The motor doesn’t work ....!!!!
WHAT.....!!!
WTF is going on?
Works off the battery same voltage ...
Same voltage different wire - doesn’t work ??????
I’ve informed/ asked the company I bought the regulator from for help but at this stage have not got back to me.

Please, could someone with more knowledge skills than me give me some guidance.
Thank you very much.

Danny

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Rear electric window issue.

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi Danny,
not expert, do my own stuff like you and very easy to get confused etc and some of your post l don't quite get but,
when you tried the motor the second time, are you sure the ignition was still on. When l worked on mine the ignition would go off and l had to lock and unlock the car to get it on again.
The other thing is have you checked the loom coming into the door for a possible break.
It seems to me you have eliminated the motor and the switch, has to be wiring or faulty module.
Bob.

thermiclance
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport Megane 2.0 175dci 4 door Hatch

Postby thermiclance » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Bob
Many thanks for your thoughts.
Ignition - yes well done for pointing this out and yes the ignition was on the door lights and speaker were working when connected and I did funnily enough for some reason check these out as I went along (apart from the speaker).
So when the ignition is timed out or off I have absolutely no voltage at the regulator multi plug.

The main door loom - multi plug located between the hinges of the door. This was my first point of call when the window stopped working a few weeks back, what with all the rain we had then. Yes checked this area and the area was dry as a bone. And on a visual inspection there seems to be no breaks in any of the cables.

The main issue that has completely perplexed me is that I can run the motor directly off the 12v battery. However when I wire it on to the multi plug from the confirmed L and N, ie 12.4v down to ground in several places and from the multi plug (even when moving the plug around, thinking I have a broken neutral/ground) the window motor doesn’t work?

Am I not seeing the wood for the trees!

So to me that is I have a possible faulty module!
But it’s supposed to be new?

Not sure if this is possible but does any one know what if any are the expected voltages across this multi plug even when operating the switch.

Danny

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:00 am

Hi,
l have the problem of my driver window only goes down even when l press up.
l think my problem is in the BCM as l believe the earth is switched through there.
l have found though that at the plug coming to the switch, the black wires, if l directly earth one or the other, the window goes up and down.
lf you look at the wires going to the motor, they are not both thicker ones, l believe only one at a time will be used as the live as the polarity is switched.
I think if you connected a thicker live to the motor and a direct earth to the door latch it will go up or down.(ignition on)
I use a tester with a bulb just in case of blowing anything.
They are complicated and don't work how we suppose.
Good luck and if you solve it do let us know.
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”