New MOT regs

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

New MOT regs

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Today I decided to take my 08 dci for its mot after all the repairs were completed, 2 front to rear brake pipes, 2 flexi hoses, both rear axle brake pipes, 2 calipers and 2 rear shockers. Today is the first day of the new regs, some of the changes are scary - the new 13 terminal towing socket (didnt even know they did one !) if that is not working its classed as a major fault and vehicle off road. Anyway the emissions is the reason for this post, the new regs are stricter and mine scraped through at 1.4, first try was 1.9, the new limit is 1.5. Theres gonna be a lot of spares or repairs cars about soon. If it fails it seems like it will be curtains as the new limit is so strict and not fixable.

As for my mot it did pass, had to change a wiper blade as it had stuck to the screen and tore on operation, been unseasonably hot here recently and hasnt rained.

Good luck with anyone getting an mot from now on
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: New MOT regs

Postby grandadbobby » Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Hi,
well done on the pass.
Don't know if yours has a DPF, but it's worse now if you've got one.
With the expense and liability of the DPF,for those who don't do high mileage, l reckon many will be returning to petrol.
My 1.9dci doesn't have one so will run it till something major goes, then will decide.
Always been diesel even before it became popular but times are a changing.
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Mon May 21, 2018 10:25 pm

think it has dpf but has never been an issue before, this was mot'd at the end of march and did not fail on emissions, today it scrapes through. Think ill keep it a few more months and then sell it, this mot game is getting too much, dont need the 2nd car now so might get shot.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 am

Ok did a bit more research, according to VOSA (DVLa new name) website the emission regs are changing, forf diesels up to july 2008 the limit is 3.0, after july 2008 its 1.5 or whatever is shown on chassis plate if lower. From 2014 its 0.72.

Gonna be a lot of cars out there that aint gonna pass, anyone want a cheap VW diesel ???

Raised this with my mot guy and gave him the link, his response, the software says its 1.5, I thought he might have put it in wrong but he says there is no option to select before july 2008. So if anyone gets a fail on emmissions best check out the dvla website.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”