1.9 dci

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nikmorris
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.9dci 2004

1.9 dci

Postby nikmorris » Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am

Hi am a new member just after some advice im a old school mechanic by trade and a reno man through ive got a reno 1.9 dci 3dr 2004 and its running a bit lumpy just replaced the fuel pump ptessure switch and it goes like a rocket but still running lump and now it cuts out with a injector fault light but goes of when started this is doing my head in now any ideas so I can get my car back to the norm got a long trip planned

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: 1.9 dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed May 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi,
I'm an old school bloke too, but if anything is lighting up then there should be a fault code stored.
You do need a code reader nowadays to put you in the right direction.
It's a long way round the barn to keep on guessing.
If no fault code then it's fuel related like air in system or fuel filter.
ps whenyou read codes, erase them, run engine till fault then read to see what's happening now. Some codes will be old stored ones.
Good luck
Bob.

nikmorris
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 1.9dci 2004

Postby nikmorris » Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am

plugged it into my snap on code reader no faults found only sensor ive not replaced now is fuel rail sensor ???? so maybe that altho ive tested wires there all ok and getting no fault code only thing I get is if I thrash it she cuts out says injector fault on dash but it retsarts and dash clear and nothing on fault reader????? injectors are all ok that's why this is puzzling suppose I just replace that sensor ??? its a really nice car other wise its mint she as done 150 thousand miles but its like new

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Fri May 18, 2018 2:39 pm

Hi,
any electrical or sensor fault would give a code, also if no rail pressure, it won't start.
The lumpy tick over could have been to do with the work you did, they say to allow the pcm time to adjust.
It's the cutting out that matters, if starved of fuel l believe the dash warning knows that something is wrong but it can't be electrical.
l did have this once on a Ford and l did all stuff like you. It turned out to be a black blob in the fuel sender unit in the tank. It blocked the feed pick up and when it conked out it fell away and the car could start straight back up till it got sucked up again.
I researched this and found that it is most common on diesel boats. Since 2011 they have put biologic products in diesel fuel leading to this problem.
The warm diesel returning to the tank with maybe a bit of condensation grows it's own eco system resulting in a biological black blob.

If you were to look up '1.6 tdci fuel flow' on the ford c max forum you'll see pictures of what l found.
My car had got to the point where it stopped 10 secs after starting so in the end as a last resort l bypassed the tank and ran the engine from a 5 gallon can, and it kept on running, so l found it.
l can't say that yours is the same but it could be.
The other thing is to make sure the tank can breath because as the fuel goes down air must be able to replace it.
Good luck and be sure that when you do find whatever the problem is, please post results.
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”