Estate rear door

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Estate rear door

Postby scooper1000 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Hi can anybody help me i have a 2006 Megane Estate and my high brake light does not work so i want to remove it to check it out and possibly replace it. BUT my haynes manual is very vague as to how this happens, i have removed the plastic window surround and removed the 2 torx screws which fasten the top cover and it is now very loose and can be moved a bit. The cover seems to be held in by three pieces of plastic which i do not want to use force incase i damage it....could anybody confirm these three pieces of plastic either have to be forced out or do they move in another direction...thanks

GordonD

Re: Estate rear door

Postby GordonD » Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Hi scooper1000,

The three pieces of plastic have been installed as part of a safety recall by Renault and stops the spoiler (where the high level brake light is screwed into) falling off at high speed. Its why you cannot easily remove the spoiler. Its all down to the fact that the plastic lugs of the spoiler where the torx screws screw into are very weak and break off - so be careful when you do them up again!
If you cannot find a way to jiggle the spoiler free then the only way to remove it is to remove one (try one first) black plastic piece. There are 6 torx screws holding the spoiler in place and 2 torx screws holding the brake light in place.
Re-assembly is straight forward, just be careful tightening up the screws. You will have to re-stick the removed black plastic pieces with super glue.
I know this because I had to change the same brake light on my car after Renault performed the safety recall work.
All the best.

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Postby scooper1000 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:10 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply...i can only see two screws ..next nice day i will have another go at wriggling it free...thanks again

fay66
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane sports router 1.5 dci

Postby fay66 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Where are these plastic pieces situated? Are the sticky like pieces along the back edge of the spoiler, as I've just lost my spoiler and am about to replace it with a secondhand part, but this also has the broken clips, is super glue strong enough to effect this repair.
I'm just amazed at how rubbish these clips are, they are fitted very securely with torx screws, but I even lost one of the clips and the torx screw!
Brian

fay66
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane sports router 1.5 dci

Postby fay66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 am

I eventually found another spoiler complete with brake light and washer tube as this had sheared off as well.
Everything for sale on ebay was still attached to a tailgate that wasn't for sale separately, or had broken lugs, as mine had left most of the logs and screws when it departed at 75mph, I bought one with broken lugs and what a rubbish piece of fixing this was, I couldn't believe just how flimsy they were.
All fixing lugs replaced with the remains of mine and securely fixed on ith a big blob of araldite,
Lugs that weren't broken were reinforced with araldite, as my tailgate had the recall bodge it obviously didn't work, now I think it would pull the tailgate off before he fixings let go.
As it seems impossible to refit the spoiler without having to move the the tailgate itself, as there doesn't seem enough room between the tailgate and he roof, and that would need 2 pars of hands, I let my little local two man band garage do it
Typical with the Megane you solve 1 problem and create an other, I now can't open the bloody tailgate, you'd think someone would have had the wit to I corporate a manual release just in case :banghead

Return to “Problems / Questions”