intermittent problems with selecting first and second gear.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

nghill098
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.4

intermittent problems with selecting first and second gear.

Postby nghill098 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi all,
I own a 2006 Megane 1.4. 3 door,
I recently carried out a full coolant flush and replacement of thermostat/housing, all went back together without issues and seemed to be working great. temps good etc. However when i came to drive it next day, i found that it was really difficult to select first gear when stationary or second gear could not be selected when moving,(all other gears seem unaffected) however this problem only seems intermittent, as moments latter first and second work without issue, if cannot select first, repeated pressing of clutch pedal seems to help, and pausing in neutral, can help with second gear sometimes.
Before carrying out work on cooling system, clutch and gearbox were working great, never had any problem with them, however, have not found out that clutch hydraulics are right where i was working, can only think this has something to do with it?
any ideas would be appreciated.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: intermittent problems with selecting first and second gear.

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:10 pm

Hi,
are you sure you didn't drop anything down where the cables connect when you worked on it.
The way to see if it's to do with the clutch is to switch engine off and see if the gears select easy then.
If it's only when the engine is running then that points to the clutch or fluid.
ps were the kids helping because l had my daughter put water in the brake fluid once, it goes straight down to the bottom, just thought I'd mention it.
Good luck
Bob.

nghill098
Currently Drives:: 2006 Megane 1.4

Re: intermittent problems with selecting first and second gear.

Postby nghill098 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:39 am

Thanks for the quick response Bob,

Have been have checked it out and found what type of bleed system it has,several different types were fitted,
Have noted that my one is the one with clips you lift one and other push down, then pull pipe slightly out to bleed.

One investigating the push down clip is already pushed down. Plan to have closer look tonight

Return to “Problems / Questions”