Bleeding Brakes !!!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Bleeding Brakes !!!!!

Postby Phil and Liz » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:01 pm

My 08 failed its MOT on rear brakes, weeping brake pipe and a steering rack gaiter. Replaced the rear discs but couldnt get to the osr brake pipe so took it back to the garage that failed it to renew the pipe. First comment I got was ' are the bleed nipples free?' as I didnt want to break anything Id not tried to loosen them. So tuesday I get a txt asking me to call, the response is all four bleed nipples are seized, the rear shockers are now leaking and will need a flexi hose. Now to my mind bleeding the full system is ideal but as the pipe was only on the osr and had not lost pressure then that would be the only one needing bleeding in the circumstances. Is it me or is the mechanic coming it by insisting all the brakes need bleeding ? So it looks like I have to drive it back with no mot and dodgy brakes then fix it all myself, not looking forward to crawling right under a car on stands, anyone know how the clamps that hold the brake pipes unfasten ? Gonna get a s/h caliper and replace the pipes from front at the joint to rear at rear axle and pipe on subframe.

Its that or sell it spares or repair, mot failure
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Bleeding Brakes !!!!!

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Hi,
as for the bleed nipples and if they haven't broken them off or completely rounded them ,
l usually find a good soak of wd and a gentle warm up they will give, using a small impact socket.
A normal spanner's no good.
ps you can bleed from the brake pipe if it will slacken.
You could even warm them up by grinding down the nipple part, nothing to loose.
When you mention clamps on pipes, if you mean the flexy, it's more of a clip that slides in a groove. Check out you tube.
l know what you mean with the weather but it's better this weekend.
Good luck
Bob.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:40 am

Thanks for that, hadn't thought about an impact driver will try my 12volt one when I get her home. I knew about bleeding from brake pipe and did suggest this or just bleeding the one brake rather than all four but fell on deaf ears. Have got a caliper lined up at £15 so if needs can get this and try the impact on the others.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 pm

So today I had a busy day, dropped the wifes Clio auto off for its service at Parks of Motherwell, service department excellent - £139.50 for service, then had to go to other side of Motherwell to pick up the Megane with limited brakes. Talking to the mechanic its the n/s/f that has bleed nipple problems, o/s/r is ok (hardly surprising its only 4 year old), so set off carefully using handbrake rather than foot brake at first, round the roundabout and a police car followed me. Now the Mot expired 2 weeks ago as did the road tax, so the next minute or so were buttock clenching until the officer decided he was going left at the next roundabout. Lucky he was local and not traffic with ANPR.

As it turns out the brakes while probably not good enough to pass a test did not fell much different, think the leak is more a mist than coming out with every push of the brake pedal. So it looks like n/s/f caliper needs to come off, clamp the flexi of course, can then see if the bleed nipple will come out with heat -once there is no fluid in it. Failing that a s/h one is between £10 and £20. Just need to make sure the nipple is free before purchase. Need to also fit a gaiter to same side, parts on order.

Then I can get to the back and change the rear shockers, watched a you tube video and it looks straight forward, famous last words.........

If i get to the brake pipe, under the car the brake pipes are secured by a plastic clamp side by side and a plate across the top, there is a central fixing is it a christmas tree fixing or a screw, anyone know ?
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi,
don't forget on the nipple, if your impact socket is nice and tight, even boiling water might do it.
There's nothing in the almost useful Haynes manual about the clips on the metal pipes but see if they will lever away or if it's a rusty screw I'm sure you will ease it out and find a way to secure it afterwards.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”