Potential Alternator Issue?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

naviola7
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.6 16v Oasis

Potential Alternator Issue?

Postby naviola7 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi everyone

Megane II - 2005 1.6 16v Oasis

Today as I was rolling off, as I moved form the biting point the lights dimmed slightly. This has happened before as I am nearly stalled. However, this time, one light is dimmer than the other.

Could this be a potential alternator issue or could it just be a poor/loose connection?

Any advice would be useful!
Thanks

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Re: Potential Alternator Issue?

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:59 pm

check all the earths, put a meter on the battery when engine running, should be over 13 volts
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Potential Alternator Issue?

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi,
sounds like you need to check the wiring, especially the earth wires at the bulbs.
When l checked mine l found the earth wires were burning out between the side light and headlight, so l soldered new wires on.
It's not a 5 minute job as you need to take the front bumper off the car for good access.
There's plenty on you tube to guide you and it's not too bad, but while the front is off it's a good idea to re-new all the bulbs.
I don't think it's the alternator, but to check it, see if you've got 12-13v at the battery with car running and all lights and heater turned on.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”