rear caliper mount

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

rear caliper mount

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Well my 10 year old megane finally had a big fail, leaking brake pipe due to corrosion,badly corroded rear discs ( advise last year so I got away with a full year without changing them _ brakes still good,but knew they had to be done). Thought Id start on the discs first, disc mounting nut came undone ok, both caliper pin bolts seized, managed to get one loose and the other swung out of the way. Biggest problem so far is caliper mount frame bolts are seized and already rounded off, new discs last fitted 4 years ago by a local fast fit operation, i.e a 17 year old without a clue.

Tried penetrating oil and also heating up the bolts till they glow, mole grips and a big hammer, no joy. Luckily the weather is getting warmer so my scooter can come out of hibernation and wont need this until october. Thinking if worse come to worse I could cut the bolt head with an angle grinder, thing is does nayone knowif the bolt is threaded all the way or is the top part unthreaded ? One other alternative is take the angle grinder to the disc and cut a couple of slots to get the disc off, that would then give me more room to hacksaw the bolt after cutting the head, top one has enought room, bottem one will be a close fit maybe dremmel time for that one.

Any suggestions ? by the way this is the drivers side and think it was the passenger side that gave me problems when working on the front suspension.
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

Return to “Problems / Questions”