2007 megane heater motor problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

bloater
Currently Drives:: 1.9 dci dynamique auto

2007 megane heater motor problem

Postby bloater » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Sorry to raise this old chestnut again but I need help before I take a hammer to it.

Like those before me, I have had an ongoing problem with the heater notor not working. I have had the dash out more times than I care to recall and have got it working by replacing the spade end clips directly to the motor as these had arched and burnt making a bad connection. I have also replaced the resistor pack and got it going again on another occassion.

The latest problem is a loose wire way up inside the dash. I have got my hand up in the void had a good wriggle and got it working, but as soon as my wife goes out in it (as it is her car) she must go over a bump or something and it stops again. It has got to the point where she will not drive it in the winter. I have thought about jamming some sort of foam up in and around the suspect wires (as I can not get in there to do a proper repair job) but am a little worried it might get hot and catch fire.

I have thought of a simple solution, but want a bit of advice / reassurance this is not as stupid idea as it seems so simple?

I was thinking of disconnecting the two wires that go to the motor (the + & -) and running a wire from the - on the motor to an earth and a wire from the + on the motor to the battery with an inline fuse and a simple on off switch. I know it will only give me the blower on full tilt, but at lease it will give my wife a chance to clear the screen.

Am I being a wally, any reason this would not work, even if it is the most simple and basic solution. any feedback appreciated guys....

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Re: 2007 megane heater motor problem

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:41 pm

If you are going to do it at least put a variable resistor inline. A potentiometer will also give you motor control.

bloater
Currently Drives:: 1.9 dci dynamique auto

Postby bloater » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm

Cheers BrotherPlasterer.

I have picked up a potentiometer from Ebay and will give it a go with that once it arrives.

It looks like I could easily mount it in the dash, but I will wire it up and test it works before I drill a hole to mount it.

Thanks for the idea.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:53 am

If the motor is burning out resistor packs and connectors, doesn't that suggest it's buggered?
I'd try another motor (about £20 for second hand) before I started hacking the wiring..

BrotherPlasterer
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: 2005 Renault Megane 2 1.6 VVT Dynamique

Postby BrotherPlasterer » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I don't suppose you can stick s scope on it to measure current flow and check the waveform for variations in draw?

darrenHaug
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sedan, 2017

Postby darrenHaug » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Had a similar problem with my old car when I lived in Greece. Never figured what the problem was, just sold it to a friend who plays with cars as a hobby, cool guy actually! I feel that they can fix everything in Greece. I also know a man who bought an old apartment in Athens in a beautiful historical building in the heart of the city, he invested in renovation and sold it at nearly 50 per cent profit. Looks like a good idea to me.

Return to “Problems / Questions”