Steering arm inner linkage MOT fail

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dtyharry71
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 1.5dci 106 2008

Steering arm inner linkage MOT fail

Postby dtyharry71 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Have a 2008 Renault Megane 1.5dci which failed MOT on tyres, coil springs and lower ball joints. I had all this work done and took car for a retest at same centre. They have now failed it on something completely different as shown below:

Nearside Front Steering arm has relative movement at its fixings inner joint (2.2.B.1h)

This was not even mentioned as an advisory on the original fail and I would never have bothered having the previous work done if I knew this had to be done as well.

Do I have any recourse to KwikFit as it has left me in a very awkward position.

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Re: Steering arm inner linkage MOT fail

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Probably not as they will say that the wear on the inner joint was not visible due to ball joint wear. What you could try is saying you'll pay only for the part , last time i bought these they were about £40 but that was a few years ago and i think it was for a pair. Out of curiosity how much did hey hit you for the repairs ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

dtyharry71
Currently Drives:: Renault Mégane 1.5dci 106 2008

Postby dtyharry71 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:09 pm

The coil springs and ball joints I had done for £180 at a different garage and was really pleased with that. Gutting because I probably wouldn’t have bothered if I knew steering was faulty as well!

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Postby Phil and Liz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:11 pm

Thinkif theyd done the repairs theyd have been obligated to do the steering inner joint, but as it was taken away its classed as a fresh test. These used to be a problem on early mk II, before 2008, I had an 04(bought 1 year old) that had 3 sets and i sold it in 2009. As I said before an hours labour at most plus part. Mine got an advise last year on same thing but have never felt the play.
Phil and Liz Jackson

Lanark

neilbrumie
Currently Drives:: megane oasis 1.5dci

Postby neilbrumie » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:52 pm

I am an mot tester for 30 years,inner tie rod is not a failable item no matter how much play is in it .Only an advise .stupid i know but that is what the manual says .It states you can not tell where the play is as its inside a rubber gaitor.

Return to “Problems / Questions”