can anyone help me.please

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

petertohen

can anyone help me.please

Postby petertohen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:51 am

hello
can anyone help please
my son has bought his first car a magane dynamique 2005 1.6 it was ok on several test drives over a couple of weeks before he bought it now this morning nothing it tried to start a couple of times then completly dead then a few dashboard lights came on the speedo dial and rev counter dials are twitching with card in or out but no horn charged the battery same again the only thing that has happened was we had a heavy downpoar yesterday with it parked on the drive
any thoughts please
regards
https://www.motors.co.uk/used-cars/rena ... year/2005/

tunamelt
Currently Drives:: 2008 Megane ii 1.5Dci 6spd DPF(fap)

Re: can anyone help me.please

Postby tunamelt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:41 am

Hello Peter,
I've had some electrical issues too after lots of rain.
These cars are heavily Electrically-Engineered, with 3 separate main computer components working together.

-First thing to check is the voltage at the battery, you'll need around 12.4volts at minimum to start the car. The battery should hold this voltage for hours after fully charging.
-Second thing I would check is the connection of the two terminals on top of the battery. The electrical clamps need to be tight, with no corrosion or debris between wire clamp and battery terminal. (This sounds like a weak ground(-) connection.)
-Does this car have a sunroof? sometimes the sunroof water drains become clogged and the water finds its way onto the electronics. The same is true for the "scuttle panel" under the windscreen wipers. IF the scuttle panel drains get clogged, the entire panel will fill with water and eventually overflow onto the computers. To check this area, simply unclip and lift the plastic cover which contacts the bottom of the windscreen and peek under it- this is easier at the front corner of the cover, under the bonnet.

Water ingress, humidity and corrosion on the computers is a big detail. You might eventually want to inspect for corrosion on the ECU, UPC and UCH computers and their electrical connections. If you find a source of where the water gets to the electronics, then you can remedy the cause of the problem. In order to get the car started, the computers might just need to dry out.

Test the Electronic basics at the battery first, before worrying about anything sensitive/expensive. A corroded ground connection at the battery or at the vehicle frame would absolutely cause the problems you're having and it would take 2 minutes and 0 money to fix.

Best regards,
Konrad

Return to “Problems / Questions”