The dreaded STOP light and alarm issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

danstine
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Cabriolet Monaco 2005 1.9tdi

The dreaded STOP light and alarm issue

Postby danstine » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:31 am

Hi all, new to the forum. Hoping some of you have experience this before and found a solution,

I am getting the dreaded stop light on the dash and beeping constantly. I have read a few forums where it happens occasionally but I am getting it every couple of seconds, mainly in slow moving traffic or junctions/traffic lights. I think I have narrowed it down to the braking system because it only tends to happen when the brake is being pressed or depressed, once moving it tends to stay away. But it must have come on and done the beep about 2000 times this morning and I am starting to hear it in my sleep.

Things I have checked so far are:
- Brake fluid (at recommended level)
- Handbrake doesn't seem to have a loose connection
- brake pads seem okay for now

Any other ideas?

Also, to top things off above hearing the beeping in my sleep, the alarm has started to randomly go off. I have checked all doors and windows and bootlid, doesn't seem to be any problems that I can see. I have tried to deactivate the internal sensors according to the alarm handbook but both methods in the book fail to work.

method 1 - key card in > press star/stop 5 times > take key out > get out car shut door and lock > Should hear 3 beeps = big fat no
method 2 - key card in > Key card out > Key card in > Key card out > get out car shut door and lock > should hear 3....... you get the rest = big fat no

any idea?

Thanks everyone for any advice you can give, sorry its long winded.

Ps its a 1.tdi Megane cabriolet 2005 (Monaco)

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: The dreaded STOP light and alarm issue

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi,
l have read posts in the past about this type of problem on the cabriolet.
They do seem to suffer from damp and water ingress in the boot area and alarm module.
Typical modern electronics issues.
l'm sure if you trawl the forums and you tube you'll get a good idea of where exactly to look.
Good luck
Bob.

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:40 pm

Here are two suggestions - there could be many more.
1) the brake pedal switch does play up. It has been covered here several times. The switch is double acting - activates the stop lights and tells the DCU you are braking. Can be removed, dismantled and cleaned. Makes the car hold back briefly but does not normally throw up a level 1 or 2 warning.
2) Next time you hear the beep look closely at the display. Does the battery warning light flash on very briefly? This is a sign of impending alternator failure and will get worse and worse as the charging rate drops, eventually staying on.

fredcamp2
Learner Driver

Postby fredcamp2 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:59 pm

The brake light switch double switch for brake lights & it operates as a safety device in the event of a problem with the accelerator position sensor.
to check this out if the brake pedal is depressed while the accelerator at a constant at a constant position (engine running ) the engine speed should drop to idle. If this is not the case then you most likely have a switch fault. wiring fault. ecu fault

Return to “Problems / Questions”